PM-66 Rip fence

Hi,

I've been lurking for about a month now, never seen such an active newsgroup with so much good info in it.

I bought an old PM-66 TS some time ago and it came with bent fence rails. (Round rails about 1 3/8 dia.) It seems like it would be a fairly decent fence with some straight rails. I'm undecided if I should try to find better rails or just go with a new fence. I would think there would be a bunch of these old style rails laying around and a pair could be picked up fairly reasonably. Is anyone still using the original fence on these saws? Any comments about it? If you have updated, how does the new compare to the old.

Thank You, John

Reply to
John

The PM66 at work still has the original fence. Great saw, POS fence. A Biesemeyer would make it handle like a fine Swiss watch. Dump your old fence and upgrade.

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

"> The PM66 at work still has the original fence. Great saw, POS

==================================== I second that opinion!

And while I do have a Biesmeyer Fence on my saw (and absolutely love it btw) There are now plenty of after market fences available that would make your saw a "true" dream to use...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

I have the Biesemeyer with angle iron and a long square tube on the front of the PM66. It is always true. A bad fence makes a bad table saw, even if it's a PM66.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thank's for the comments. I was leaning towards a new after market but I thought the PM might have had a good fence that would be worth resurrecting. It also would have saved me a few dollars that can always be spent on something else for the home shop. But this saw is definitely worth a new fence.

John

Reply to
John

You should hang out here for "deals":

Thank's for the comments. I was leaning towards a new after

Reply to
Pat Barber

I have a PM65 and put a Vega fence on it. Very happy with the results.

(scroll to the bottom)

Reply to
WebsterSteve

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:48:55 GMT, Pat Barber wrotg:

Thank's a million Pat, I just ordered it. Santa's coming early!

John

Reply to
John

On 6 Nov 2003 13:17:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (WebsterSteve) wrotg:

is ordered I should clean mine up a bit, it's a bit crusty but runs great. I see you have the same "paneling" as I do in the shop. Did you seal it with something? I put mine up a couple of years ago and haven't done anything else to it.

Thanks John

Reply to
John

Seal it? I haven't even gotten around to putting a ceiling up yet! I was going to paint everything white once I got the ceiling up but I'd rather spend time working *in* the shop than *on* the shop so I'm not sure when I'll get around to putting the ceiling in.

Reply to
WebsterSteve

On 7 Nov 2003 12:39:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (WebsterSteve) wrotg:

Well Steve, I'm almost ahead of you there. The sheetrock is on the ceiling but not taped. Been that way for 2 years. You're right, it's more fun working in the shop then on it.

Happy woodworking, John

Reply to
John

After reading several replies from readers of the Wreck saying to junk the old fence, I figured maybe it was time for a new one. One poster mentioned the Biesemeyer closeout web site. Thank you very much!! If you are looking for Biesemeyer stuff this is the place to be looking. I ordered the 42" commercial fence and received it Friday and installed it. I've been using it for a couple of days now and could never go back to the old one. (Well it only took about a minute to figure that out.) The Biesemeyer just floats across the table. I was so used to measuring about 4 times to set the old fence, now you just read it, lock it, and saw. It is just awesome. I was always impressed with the PM-66, but now this baby really rocks. Thank's again.

John

P.S. Anyone need an original 66 rip fence?

Reply to
John

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

The Biesemeyer just floats across the table. I

================= John I do not know how long that Bies will holdup in your shop before it starts giving your trouble... But I have had a Bies installed on my saw for well over 10 years now and it is as great today as it was when I installed it...MY GUESS is that your Great Grandson "may" be the woodworker who finallly wears it out... you sure have nothing to worry about

One HINT...no need to apply much pressure to the locking cam...it locks solid with very little pressure almost none....I actually use a small earth maganet to keep the cam lever upright because letting it fall LOCKED the fence ....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:38:05 GMT, "Bob G" wrotg:

Bob, The way this fence is built it will outlast me thats for sure. This one came with the magnet as standard equipment.

John

Reply to
John

Sounds like your cam lever hold up mechanism is shot. May as well rip the fence off the saw and send it to me for proper disposal ;-}

Montyhp

Reply to
Montyhp