plywood - lines

I have some furniture grade plywood, when I finish it, there are small lines in the grain that run perpendicular with it. Is it a plywood defect or am I sanding too much or not enough?

Thanks, Randy

Reply to
jack

You wouldn't happen to be sanding across the grain would you? What tool/method are you using for sanding?

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Reply to
jack

My guess is these are marks left from the machine sanding. You might try some hand sanding with a finer paper to see if they go away easily.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

they may well be witness lines of the veneer layer just below the surface, finish veneer. if so, trying to sand them out will be a disaster.

Reply to
bridger

Are they lines or more like evenly spaced, uniform rolling hills? I had the problem just described with some Baltic birch that came in 5X5 sheets. They sanded out using a 6" random orbit sander and 80 grit paper, but I probably came very close to going through the veneer.

Reply to
BUB 209

Reply to
jack