Plate jointer

I want to buy a Plate Jointer and what I thought would be an easy decision, Has turned into a "Spec" nightmare. I'm leaning toward the PC 557. Should I be leaning a different direction?

Reply to
Tom

You get the most features for the price with that one. You are also looking for the Type III. You would need to go to the much more expensive Lamello to do better.

Reply to
Leon

I would like to try to keep this around $200.00. Is the type III just the newest version of the 557?

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
toller

You suck!

Dave (who paid about $200 IIRC)

toller wrote:

Reply to
David

I have used several plate jointers, including the 557, and I would recommend the Makita 3901. It is smoother, and more precise, IME.

Reply to
johnny999_99

It is the most current version. If you find some exceptionally good deal it may be a Type II. You do not want the Type II. The Type III should be in the price range that you have indicated.

Reply to
Leon

For the serious wooddorker, the consensus seems to indicate that the 557 type III is more than adequate. If you are going to do a lot of it, and you insist on high precision, buy the Lamello.

....annnnnd, regardless of which brand you chose, and I have said this many times before...buy Lamello bisquits, they're simply better.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Tom" wrote in news:0Pk%d.1558$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

If you can't get an acceptable price on the PC557 type III, there are more than a few of us more than satisfied with the DeWalt plate jointer. These two seem to be at that $200 & down sweet spot, price/feature/durability considered.

And now that the two of them will have the same corporate parent, I hope some other company steps up with a competitive product.

If you don't feel the need to do smaller than #0 biscuits, the DeWalt does what the PC does.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Thank you all for the advice. I was surprised at how fast I got responses to my question.. Tom

Reply to
Tom

I paid $180, if you put the tool in your amazon shopping basket it will decrease to $180 for a day every 7 days or so. I have never seen it at $140 but you can also use the standing $25 discount on purchases over $200 to bring the price down to $155 which is fair.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker