Plans or pictures of a Stock Cart

Then you're completely full of shit Lew. There isn't a person alive who does woodwork that hasn't taken someone's else's idea and modified a version for his own use. You build a chair, a table whatever, it's design is based exactly or loosely on some other person's design that you've seen. The only difference between me and you is that I don't lie about it while you're completely full of crap.

I guess you've never done a history assignment in school. That's where you read what someone else has written and then say it again in your own words. With your warped thinking, I'd guess you'd classify that as plagiarism. Would that be correct Lew?

Quite obviously, you don't have a clue about the legalities of being a technical writer. A technical writer usually takes legally obtained information given to him or researched by him and rewrites it at the comprehension and interest level for a particular audience. Since the information is owned from beginning to end by the client, he's free to do with what's been written as he pleases including copying, rewriting and distributing it ~ even if it's information created entirely by me. I know for certain fact that information I've previously written has been rewritten, updated and changed a number of times by successive technical writers. And you know what Lew? I'm perfectly fine with that because it's the nature of the business.

Possibly, however your response is just BULL SHIT without any intelligence to back it up.

The alcohol comment was intended to be funny. Obviously, you wouldn't find it so because you appear to have your humour up your ass where you apparently have also placed your head.

Dave

Reply to
Upscale

Nothing wrong with "mooching" ideas to use in your own designs, despite recent efforts to the contrary in the software industry.

OK, so when in your opinion is it legitimate to draw your own plans for a duplicate of a piece of furniture you have seen? Is Norm stealing when he does this? How do you draw the line between theft and inspiration?

Who said anything about "selling"? Google "fair use doctrine". In any case it's queationable whether examining a picture of a piece of furniture and then drawing a similar design is copyright violation--Plycraft made imitation Eames chairs for decades that incorporated all the distinctive features of the Eames except a different shaped armrest and Herman Miller was never successful in shutting down this activity.

Certainly if someone is selling unauthorized copies of Norm's plans that's bad, but that's not what was being proposed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

MAN, YOU ARE ONE FULL OF CRAP BULLSHIT ARTIST! This entire newsgroup is an exchange of information, suggestions and ideas. By your stunted criteria, you could accuse the entire readership of this group as seeking free engineering. And since over the years I've seen a number of your own comments exchanging information and ideas, you'd be included with everybody else.

How do you explain that?

Reply to
Upscale

Isn't that a tad harsh?

Looking at something, seeking advice, and drawing his own plans, makes him a Mooch?

Reply to
B A R R Y

You either did not understand the above statement or you are crazy. If you see a piece of furniture in a store or a magazine and decide to make something close to it, that is not stealing. Every time you make a simple box do you send a royalty to the designer of the original box? I've copied many an item where there were no plans available. I've measured pieces on display in a store to get some idea of proportion. Two years ago I made a chaise lounge for $200 that rivals the $1000 one I saw in a store. They offered no plans. Who do I pay if I decide to make an Adirondack chair from scratch?

If you open a set of plans on the rack at Woodcraft and copy it, yes, that is stealing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Agreed.

Isn't that the way most of the NYW projects start out?

They find an antique piece on display in a gallery, take some pictures and measurements, then sit down and generate a set of working drawings based on that field trip.

Generating a set of engineering documents based on an existing model that is in the public domain is done every day and certainly isn't stealing.

Take those drawings that are clearly now for sale and modify them to make your own version without buying the drawings is a totally different matter.

Sounds like you and Norm should make a field trip together.

Again, you created value by developing your own design based on public domain information.

Depends on whether you use a commerical plan or develop your own set of plans.

Precisely the point.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The above doesn't; however, modifying a set of plans that are for sale without buying them is.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

See comment in post to Edwin P.

Again, see comment in post to Edwin P.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So who in this discussion did this or claimed to have done this?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I expect that copyright has expired for most of the pieces that Norm duplicates. Plus, he usually makes some dimensional and stylistic changes, see below.

Fair Use Doctrine would not be applicable.

What is applicable is that what he makes from a picture is not going to be an exact copy of the original. For some intellectual property, infringement does not require exact duplication. "Terminator" violated Harlan Ellison's copyrights on one or more stories with very different details. For furniture, IIRC, infringement does require exact or nearly exact duplication. Otherwise copyright would have long ago expired on every basic piece of furniture as ,many chairs, tables, dressers, desks, etc are much like others.

And please, _information_ per se is not protected by copyright.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Nice shop. . .thanks for sharing. Smitty

Reply to
papadoo1

If you look at the original question, I never asked for a copy of Norm's drawing. I asked for ideas for a stock cart and referenced the one Norm built as a way to describe what I was looking for. You got so narrow minded on your perception of somebody getting something copyrighted. Tell me you have never asked anyone for help. You were born with all skills needed? What a load of crap! You got information from others and used it to better yourself or what you where building. Let's hear you explain that???? Look at all of the good ideas many people contribute like Morris who posts pictures as well and others.

What is the purpose of this newsgroup if not a place to discuss our enjoyment of working with work and sharing ideas??

Reply to
dabears525

You're welcome. Thank you. Tom

Reply to