Planing End Grain (Cutting Boards)

It's not the size of the plane that matters so much as the angle of the blade to the wood. A very low angle works better on end-grain than the standard angle (a higher angle than standard works better on gnarly grain). A low-angle jack would be the go-to plane for smoothing a butcher block, IMO.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Did someone mention plywood shelves? The back shelves are 20" deep to the stud faces, the side ones are 16". The loft is 36" deep.

20" works well for a shelf and allows you to rip cleats from the cutoffs. Very little waste.

I built the loft about 30 years, but the shelves are only a few months old. I built them to replace a hodge-podge of individual shelving units, including an old particle board entertainment center. Can you say fugly?

They work so well I'm thinking of going out to get more stuff just so I can build some more shelves. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Low angle jack" - that's what I was trying to remember.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Stuff expands to fill the amount of space available." Making more shelves, just increases the amount of space available.

I have stopped "shifting" stuff around in the house to "make room", for it seems she just fills it all back up anyway. Sigh.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I knew going in that working with such wide, construction grade boards, could be problematic. It just seemed more expedient as it theoretically would require half the set ups and glue ups. (Famous last words.) And I did try to find good boards. The cupping is minimal on most, and my meter showed

Reply to
William Ahern