Plane & simple :-)

On 12/9/2020 8:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote: ...

Ah...forgot about the CA part. That undoubtedly cuts down the opportunity significantly.

I wouldn't compare it to Amazon at all, though...eBay is useful for the more unique things or things that can be used or surplus and still as good as new (or sometimes older tools are better than presently available, particularly hand tools).

Toothpaste, household items and the like are not what look for there...then again, I don't do that kind of shopping online at all, anyway.

But .CA will be a damper, fer shure...sorry about that.

I've done everything from the JLG 40-ft manlift for $5K that have used for 15 years now to a replacement cutter wheel for grandfather's 1920s Craftsman pipe cutter for $0.50 and free shipping to assortments of LEDs or a 12V microcontroller thermostat for $5 that used for the alarm system in the well house to let me know if the heater pilot gets blown out w/o having to walk out there all the time...it turns on a red LED can see through the window if drops below 40F inside.

Then picked up old Stanley 55 combination moulding plane with three boxes of cutters in original box and with almost new-looking manual.

--

Reply to
dpb

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 21:02:39 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I bought the six pack of coffee filters, for about the same price (as I recall) for one of the two packs. Or something like that. Some things I'll buy the case lot, because I will use them all. Sort of like buying TP at Costco. That's a lot of TP, but it will get used.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 12:19:31 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

In this case, it is mostly paperwork.

It's not like the old days when we'd run guns to Canada. (Flintlock muskets, buried at the bottom of the trailer. The times they were inspected, so I have been told, they got to the layer above and said "Roight, Good enough, put it al back and be on your way.")

I remember a friend in Tucson saying he'd been down in Nogales 'wetbacking' electrical work on the Mexican side of the border. I suppose it is all fun and games till Customs gets involved.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Coffee Maker water filters at Costco ? .. show me .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

If you don't use it, sell it on the black market. Paper towels are the endangered list now.

Reply to
krw

Sorta like the rum runners the opposite direction. Smuggler's Notch in Vermont got its name "honestly".

They do get tight jawed when they don't get their taxes.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 23:25:13 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

When I was a bachelor, a Costco pack would last a year or more. No sense getting rid of what I will use eventually. Had a friend who was going to college in Seattle, Over the breaks she'd go back home to Oregon, and return with her little truck stocked up on paper goods and the like. No sales tax in Oregon.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 22:35:04 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

The Milita coffee filters I got at Amazon.

I hear about "Buy locally" but there is no place "local" which carries "supplies" - notebooks, paper, coffee filters (in the size I want),computer memory, etc, etc. Might as well go on-line.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Buy it when/where you find it, sell it when not. Index toilet paper market, as it were.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote in news:d4ivsf1v9kb56m3q5ot30vnid8ejgor0m9@

4ax.com:

Most of the planes look rusty, they might take a lot of work to make them useable if that's your intention.

Reply to
no one

I noticed a couple of nice rosewood infills that looked pretty clean, but it's hard to check the blade on a photograph.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Another Example:

Just found 2-pack replacement adhesive ROS backing pads for old PC 333 for $16.55 w/ free shipping. That's about half of list for one.

Reply to
dpb

You just have to be wary of counterfeits. Happens a lot with auto parts.

They claim that it's OEM, even use the OEM "logo", but sometimes they don't even get the font right.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

2 Each of Porter Cable 13901 Generic Aftermarket 5" 5 Hole Adhesive Back Random Orbit Sander Pad

But they're just a pad, so whether is OEM or not is of very little import. $27/ea just for a PC label is almost half the price of the sander new.

Reply to
dpb

Oh, I agree that *most times* a commodity item like a sanding pad isn't a problem - unless you pay 50% of OEM list but only get 25% of OEM life. No real harm, except to your wallet. e.g. I once bought a bunch of generic vacuum cleaner bags at what I thought was a great price. Turns out that they clogged up so quickly that you had to change them long before they were full.

My comment itself was generic in nature. All I'm saying is that buying from eBay (and Amazon, et al) should be done with a wary eye.

e.g. When you buy something like a supposedly OEM timing belt for an interference engine and it turns out to be a cheap knock-off which breaks and takes out your engine a month later, that's a real problem.

If ever "Buyer Beware" applied, it's with on-line, no pre-inspection purchases.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

LOL, For your CT? The Festool dust bags hold a load, almost past full before suction is affected.

Reply to
Leon

Sorry...what's a CT?

The bags were for the small canister vac which I use for my vehicles, stairs, furniture and other small jobs.

It's a great vac - what was that joke about sucking a bowling ball through a soda straw? Hmmm.... maybe that one wasn't about a vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

For something like these, chances are at least decent they came off the same production line as did/do the ones that end up in the Porter-Cable red and white box for ~3X the price.

Since there's no local supplier from which to purchase, it's online or drive 65 miles one-way so I'll take the chance.

I've yet to be truly disapointed by an eBay purchase -- my criterion generally is to observe the satisfaction ratings of the vendor and number of sales if clearly a mass marketer and not just an individual unloading personal items or reselling estate sale items or the like.

As noted, the biggest chance I've taken was the manlift -- for $5K it wasn't perfect, but a new gasket setfor the Wisconsin V4G was <$20 and they're duck soup simple to work on. That was all it needed when got it, it had a leaky head gasket one side and bad exhaust gasket.

In about 15 years since have had it have had to replace the three proportional controllers at about $200/ea and the solid state points set somebody had swapped out for the original mechanical points and a new coil last summer. The main lift cylinder seal kit was about $50; I did pay the JD dealership to rebuild it for me as didn't have the facility to pull a 10-ft+ stroke 4" piston cylinder on the place...labor was about $250 iirc. So, I've put somewhere around $1200 into it for a machine that was upwards $40K new.

It's an '88 model; the last time I looked parts are becoming more difficult to find; JLG has now pulled it from their online parts catalog so I've begun watching auctions with the idea of replacing it before something more major does decide to go. Nothing yet inexpensive enough that I've bit but there are quite a decent number available; just how badly to go. It's beginning to look like it'll be in the $15K range now, though, I've not seen a real cheapie for quite some time excepting ones being parted out.

Reply to
dpb

Where do you buy your aftermarket CT dust bags? Do you get the HEPA filters from the same place? ;-)

Reply to
krw

If you have to ask, you cant afford it. LOL.

Festool Dust Extractor/parts. I have a CT36.

Reply to
Leon