Ping Leon - Corbel Pics

I suppose the pics are detailed enough to surmise the corbels' construction, but I added comments, anyway.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Wow some of those corbels have some really fine detail. Thank you for the link!

Reply to
Leon

Good work. I've been putting off making two corbels/brackets for my library/gallery fireplace for a long time now. I finished making the actual mantle almost a year ago and it has been sitting since then. My pieces will be _WAY_ simpler than yours and I still can't get myself started on them.

Reply to
BenignBodger

That is not my work. I salvaged those from an old building in New Orleans.

If you look closely, there are a few areas that need a little repair. Som eday, I'll repair them and find a place to use them.

The cuttings seems easy to do. They are simple cuts.... with a scroll saw, mostly, I think. Just have to make sure the cuts match fairly precise.

The construction demonstrates that a variety of simple cuts/designs/tasks a re used, then assembled to make the whole look like a complicated piece of work. Kinna like any other woodwork: 300 little (simple?) tasks to perfo rm, to make a whole display/china cabinet. Do one little job at a time and piecemeal things together. With a little imagination, one can make their own design, applying their own small appliques as they want.

Long ago, when I didn't know any better, before seeing any piecemeal forms, as these, up close, I thought those intricate achitectural forms were hand carved from a solid piece.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny