PineyWood Derby Racer - Beta Version - Film At Eleven!

my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

And we made a movie about it.

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're working on that.

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player to watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

LOL, Tom that was very cute. Now, when's the big race?

Reply to
Jeff P.

Nice!

Reply to
Mike W.

Tom that was good, real good.

Silvan if you have trouble playing this get Kaffeine. It works real good.

Reply to
rmc

I got that licked, more or less. I saw your other one finally. Good idea. I had some trouble reading some of the text though.

Same thing with that one. Too much white text on light colored stuff. Legibility is not so good in places. You should have a chat with Cecil and see if he can't deliver a better production next time.

Playing it at regular speed, the music ended while you were just getting out the curve. Was the whole thing supposed to be in dramatic slow mo, or is my futzed up hack media player behaving badly? You

were

moving

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly

that I had to crank it up to play at double speed. Which was really amusing. My own Cub Scout (who turns into a Boy Scout next month) got a big kick out of it.

I should probably give you a hard time about how much work you did and how little he did, but that would be hypocritical. We should probably both be ashamed of ourselves, Tawm.

I'm hoping to redeem myself by letting my kid do 100% of his car this year. No matter how ugly it is, or how badly it loses.

Reply to
Silvan

Keep us up to date with the race.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Neat. Now just be sure to show the race. The kid obviously looks like your wife (G,D,R).

Reply to
Alan Bierbaum

Most, Most Excellent. I enjoyed that..

Reply to
Patrick Fischer

Good on ya! Please post results of race!

I know the feeling. It does take *work*.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Just don't stoop to the level of this one clown on ebay who's selling ready made Pinewood derby race cars. I can't imagine how anyone could ruin something so nice and innocent. Course the guy only wants $175.00 for one... I still remember my Dad and I working on my cars when I was a Cub scout and I'm now 44 years old, we tried all kinds of things to make em go fast, but buying one and passing it off as home built wasn't one of them. Good for you on building your own Tom.

John Emmons

> Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer. >

Reply to
John Emmons

Nice, Tom.

I've been helping the "build crew" for four years now - first my 13-y.o., who has apparently had enough and refused to build one this year (he's a Boy Scout, and the local pack holds a Boy Scout Pinewood race after the Cubbies run, and give away movie tix and cash to the winners.) The ten-year-old built his third one this year, looked like a big pickle. Didn't win, but it was fun. I have Scout #3 to get started in about six or seven years, as soon as he gets out of diapers and learns to sit up on his own. I'm glad Girl Scouts don't do that stuff, although my daughter has been eyeballing the shop as a good place to store several billion cookies.

I thought *I* cheated, but I guess we all do to a point. Almost the same procedure - he designs, I cut on bandsaw, he shapes and sands, I paint, he paints, we race.

Jon Endres

- next year we start more than two days in advance.

> Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer. >

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

We like to push the envelope. I was going to do this for the adult race one, but my son liked the idea so much he wants to do his that way too. You have to use the original kit and wheels, but you can add stuff to it.

So we're going to cut the axle grooves off the bottom of the original kit, and then graft it onto a block of walnut. Shape it after some fashion, then shellac it. It will still include the original kit and original axle grooves. The rest of it will be pretty.

It's both of our last PWD until either he or my daughter gives me grandchildren, so we want to do it in style. Like I said, it was my idea to do for me, for the big kids race, but I can't very well tell him "no, son, you have to make yours out of all pine" can I?

Reply to
Silvan

Pushing the envelope is great, go for it. Just don't sell out the whole notion of what the pine wood derby is supposed to be about, fathers and sons or daughters, working together to build something. For fun, not as the means for some moron on ebay to sell something. It cheapens the whole thing.

John

Reply to
John Emmons

Next year you need to add the drill press (polishing / deburring axles and flattening the wheels)

Great Job. My son and I had our race 2 weeks ago. Took 4th in the pack race and 1st in best design vote.

Reply to
MARK SIMON

> Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer. >

Reply to
Glen

The Pineywood Derby race was last night.

What was my seven year old , and is now my eight year old boy, came in third in a field of thirty three.

In the preliminary round he had a First, First, and Second.

That got him into the finals.

In the finals he had a First, First and Second.

That got him into the runoffs.

In the runoffs he ran on the center track, which had a high screw that held the track pieces together.

His car, which was heavily back weighted, jumped off the track.

Damned shame, the boy coulda been a contender.

He was real excited and I think that next year he will be more motivated to do more than just sand.

We didn't do any of the wheel parralleling or such, nor any of the axle smoothing, and such, because I'd like that to be on him, if it happens.

Pix of the car and Third Place Trophy on APBW.

Regards,

Tom.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Tom Watson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The young fellow I supervised did pretty well with is car, too. When it went down the track the first time, and came in second in that heat, you'd have thought he was going to break his face, grinning so hard. He came in first in his age group at the pack race (second overall), and second overall in the district competition two Saturdays ago. The paint job he did, with help from his mom, won him first place in both events.

The medal sure looked good on him on Scout Sunday.

We had a great time from the side lines. All I had to do was get the car to the right weight, and squirt the graphite in the right places at the start of the whole event.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Congratulations to both of you. "Hard" work does pay off.

Reply to
Alan Bierbaum

Tom Watson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Congrats!

I am 42 now ... but I still remember doing pinewood derby with my dad. One of my best memories.

Now my son's just turned six. Not long now :-)

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Wow! This thread brings back happy memories! My boy's 14 now and into Marilyn Manson

Reply to
Dhakala