Pictures & Advice

Hey guys. I was here a few weeks ago asking about a satin finish on a cedar mantle. As most suggested, we used a gloss finish on all coats of poly except for the last and we used satin (same brand). The top of the mantle (that you can't see) is beautiful and satiny. The sides and bottom are too glossy IMO. Should we try another coat of satin or lightly sand with a super fine grit sandpaper to knock the shine off? Thanks,

Monica

Trent

Trent asks:

Use 0000 steel wool to knock the shine off, but given all the undulations, I'd try another coat of satin first.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

But, yes...that's what I'd do.

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

Trent©

I'd suggest you always have on hand each grade of synthetic steel wool: white, gray, maroon, etc. white gives close to 0000 steel wool results, without all those bits of steel flying around and getting imbedded in pores. You'll want something coarser to get a satin look, though. Not sure if the gray one is the ticket for satin... It's listed as 600 grit equivalent on one mfgr's site.

dave

Trent wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Trent

also happened to me. Happy Holidays to all!

Reply to
jwelsh