piano hinge placement

What is the proper way to install a continuous hinge? I either get too much or not enough of a gap when I install them. Since I seldom do it I don't recall which mistake I made the last time let alone the proper way. What's the rule? TIA, Chuck

Reply to
C & E

...don't know that there are any "rules" but I always start with the notion that I don't want to see the flaps when the door is closed...then figger how that's gonna work with the material I'm working with (ply or solid are 'bout all I work with); for example, I'm not big on screwing into plys, but with pre-drilling I've made it work...I usually put the hinge on the door first, paying attention to lining up with the actual width of the hinge (the part that's *not* the barrel, which will cause the screws to be just about centered in

3/4" material), then attach to the carcass in the same manner...if you use just a few screws in the hanging phase, there is room to adjust by using different holes if necessary...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

I don't know if it's possible for you in your situation, but I always try to have the pieces clamped together in their fixed positions to install the hinge. Whichever position is more critical, open or closed, is how I try to clamp.

If you're concerned about it being too tight, you could always shim the space between with paper.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Don't know any rules, but, depending upon the project, one of the first things I determine is whether I want to swage the piano hinge first, and for many applications I do.

Rare that you will find a piano hinge already swaged, so I swage them using a machinist vise. Easy and only takes a few minutes, but if you've never done it be sure to practice on a throw away first. You can also use a hammer on an anvil, or a combination of both.

If you're not familiar with swaged hinge leafs, here you go:

can really make a difference in the amount of "gap".

Reply to
Swingman

Cool page. I wasn't aware of that term, but very familiar with what it describes. I like piano hinges because they have no swage, and I've often have to take the swage out of a door hinge or two to get them to fit whatever obscure application into which I'm forcing them. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Where've you been? Off gigging somewhere?

Reply to
Steve Turner

That would be nice. :-) The artist I played for on that radio gig is getting a bunch of plays on network TV shows, so things might pick up.

Holiday travel + bronchitis = low usenet postage. :-)

My new-to-me Macbook Pro arrives, today, so I'll be back with blistering speed.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well, I'll be damned. I did that just a few days ago on a project I'm working on. It wasn't a continuous hinge, but it made an enormous difference in how the door hung and how much gap I had.

I didn't know what it was called at the time, but I'll remember it from now on.

Thanks for the info, Swing.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Since piano hinges are continuous in length, you must first carefully prepare the surface on which the leaves will be screwed. That's probably the most important rules.

arunpurohit1976