pen turning with snakewood

I'be acquired some snakewood I was going to use for pen blanks, but I've been told that this wood is impossible to use for pen turning because of its proclivity to split at sometime after the pen has been completed, ruining the pen and wasting a $12-$15 kit. Is this your experience and has anybody figured out how to prevent this splitting. Thanks much

---> Ed

Reply to
DADGAD

For wood that has a tendency to split or bust open, I believe most turners give it a coat of clear, thin CA glue (super glue) while it is on the lathe, i.e. ag=fter you have turned it down to its rough final form. The CA glue helps bond everything together and prevent splitting or cracking (in theory at least).

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

6 Reviews:

- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer

- WoodHaven Biscuit Master

- Veritas Saddle Square

- EZ Smart Guide System