pecan

I obtained a couple pecan logs (about 4 ft long, 10" diameter) Ultimately, I would like to make a small table top from them. Should I leave them dry for a couple years as they are (uncut, with bark) or should I saw them up now?
In rec.woodworking

You need to cut them quickly and then dry them properly. If you let them dry as logs, they will develop checks.
Rough saw them up NOW, then store and dry
John

Have them sawn now -- the quicker the better. Bugs LUV pecan. Make sure to get the bark off too (DAMHIKT!!!) Sticker, stack, and let dry approx. 1 year per 1" thickness.
Cheers, Gary
Have as much of it sawn in 8/4 or more, this will give you options if the boards cup or twist during drying. You can always resaw once it's dried and you've figured out your exact plans for your project.
Cheers,
Andy

ok, i had it sawn 8/4 i guess i'll take the bark off, as suggested and then stack with 1/2" spacers and let it dry for 2 years. garyg says to "sticker", does this mean for identification purposes, so i don't forget what it is and where it came from 2 years from now? i read on the web to paint the ends with latex, to prevent drying too fast at the ends...good idea?
prasarita wrote:

Stickering refers to the small sticks that are placed between the boards to faciliate drying and to (help) keep the boards from warping. Try to use a wood that will not leave a stain or mark-something like birch, white pine, maple. I use plastic stips wjhen I can find them. Just remember to restack the stack every several months or so to keep the wood directly underneath the stickers form staining, moldionmg, mildewing, etc..

ok, done, thanks for the advice. so much more satisfying doing this than buying wood, but requires patience.