Pawn shop inflation

There's a used tool store in Cambridge, Ontario where the owner's philosphy isn't much different. The place is stuffed floor to ceiling, and he whines about having five times that much in storage, but if you ask the price on anything, he makes up some story about the price of a new one, and offers it to you at about 20% more than new retail.

Last time I was in I asked about a 3/8" air ratchet that looked like it had been dragged in behind a towtruck from the next city. Only $80, as is.

Of course, he had a brand new one-ton Ford with every option beside the store, so there must be enough idiots with money to keep him going...

Reply to
tim124c41

one, and it is used! It has been sitting there for six months or so. The one I bought they were asking $175, and after three trips they went down to my offer of $125. Right now that router is on Amazon for $319, plus PC has a $50 rebate on purchases over $300, making the out the door price $269 plus tax. I do HVAC work for aliving so a set of AC gauges caught my eye. The tag was marked $175, I offered him $50, several times! The last time there I told him anyone can buy the same exact set new for $125. He still would not budge!

As for those who say they would rather spend the time in the shop, often I drag my wife and daughter along on my pawn shop rounds. They buy CDs and video games. So it gets to be a family outing! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Same philosophy keeps Ebay going strong! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Your fault. You told him they were worth something. He believed you. :)

Reply to
CW

Same experience here. Never have found anything in a pawn shop that was even close to a bargain.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Thing is, they mark the price so high, that one doesn't even feel that trying to bargain to a reasonable price is worth the effort. i.e., that policy can work against them.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

You got #2 the maiden aunt :)

Reply to
Phil Hansen

:)

Reply to
Phil Hansen

Mon, Oct 18, 2004, 8:55pm (EDT-3) novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com (Larry=A0Jaques) is trying to enter the religion game with: No, no, no. You're supposed to send the virginal maiden to me. Send JOAT the middle finger off your left hand. He'll give the finger to the WW gods. Er, so to speak.

OK, we'll compromise. Phil, you send Larry a sheep, and I'll give him the finger.

JOAT Flush the Johns.

- seen on a bumper sticker

Reply to
J T

Tue, Oct 19, 2004, 6:14am (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@home.za (Phil=A0Hansen) says: You got #2 the maiden aunt :)

Works for me, this should make both of us happy.

JOAT Flush the Johns.

- seen on a bumper sticker

Reply to
J T

The CDs, videos and games are about the only really good deal I've found in pawn shops around here. They have so many VHS tapes that you can get just about anything for around 2-3 bucks.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Yeah, they love it when somebody just pays the sticker price. Around here anyway stuff usually goes for 60% of what's marked. Less than that if you catch them at a time when they'd rather have some money today than see you walk away empty handed.

Reply to
Silvan

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:25:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) calmly ranted:

That's no compromise, sir, except of me. (Make it a ewe.)

============================================================== Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

No problem. Consider it done. :)

Reply to
Phil Hansen

'acourse, it's kinda a long trip for JOAT, going all the way up to Larry's just to finger a sheep....

Reply to
bridger

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:55:48 -0700, Mark & Juanita calmly ranted:

Damn. Ewe owe me a new monitor and keyboard, boy.

============================================================== Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

First I wrote: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0OK, we'll compromise. Phil, you send Larry a sheep, and I'll give him the finger.

Than on Wed, Oct 20, 2004, 6:03am (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@home.za (Phil=A0Hansen) wrote: No problem. Consider it done. :)

Unless you're made at him, best not send him a blind ewe. He might live near a cliff.

JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Reply to
J T

Wed, Oct 20, 2004, 5:26am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com says: 'acourse, it's kinda a long trip for JOAT, going all the way up to Larry's just to finger a sheep....

You're absolutely right. Time to delegate some authority. You're now the Chosen One. The Woodworking Gods will bless and watch over you.

And I made them promise not to take along the video camera.

JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Reply to
J T

This could go on forever :) I'm done

Reply to