Painting MDF?

kind.http://tinyurl.com/8yjl2l>>>> I'll look on the toob when I see it.

The downside to using lacquer putty is that lacquer shrinks. It needs to cure *completely* before you can sand it flush and not expect it to shrink further into whatever recess you're putting it. Then, if you're topcoating it with lacquer all bets are off because the solvent in the topcoat will turn around and soften the putty all over again. Using it to coat the "end grain" of MDF seems pretty safe though since you're not really filling any "holes" to speak of.

Reply to
Steve Turner

nyurl.com/8yjl2l

When my guys were assembling cabinets, melamine on 5/8" PB, sometimes they'd pop a nail through the side and make a larger hole. We had this can, with white body putty. It was made by Sikkens. We'd whip up a wee bit with a dab of hardener and 20 minutes later flush the repair with a sharp chisel. Fast, white, and tough.

The lacquer putty was never used for larger problems, because it does shrink when it dries. I am not aware of any problems with the stuff softening with actual lacquer after it had set up.

I do not know where the cut-off is in terms of hole size. It would surely be successful in a 18ga nail hole.

I worked on the restoration of an important house in Rochester NY. The painter there used window putty to fill nail holes and just painted over it. No waiting or sanding. Worked great. And this guy knew his stuff.

Reply to
Robatoy

I like BIN pigmented shellac as a primer. After that, it's perfectly paintable.

Can't help there.

I've used Bondo and drywall compound with great results, followed by BIN.

Reply to
B A R R Y

It takes paints fine. My paint guy recommended a water based primer (contrary to my expectations) and I took his word for it. I have built several cabinets for our kitchen from mdf, brushed with water-based primer, sanded smooth, then oversprayed with several coats of enamel. They have come out very nice indeed, including the edges.

One cabinet that is attached to a wall on one side and supported by a pillar on the other side was brush-painted in place by my wife, and that one does not really come up to what I'd consider acceptable standard, but that may just be her (lack of) brushing technique. Or my perfectionism. Anyway, I'll opt for spraying if it comes up again.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner