Paint question

I am going to make some routed signs. Just lettering and arrows for directional signs. I think I will use redwood. The routing will be about

1/4" deep and 3/8" wide.

I would like to just lay the board down and pour some paint in the grooves and let it dry. I have seen some like this, and they look good. Would that be okay, or should I just paint the routing with an artist's brush? If I do pour paint, what type would last the longest?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

if you paint the grooves first and let it dry and not worry too much about where the paint goes then you can roll the top part with a very low nap roller.

no paint should get into the grooves.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Schultz

Paint the grooves any way you like, then sand the paint off the top.

Or put some kind of film on the top (like spray-mount paper, wax, or shellac) before routing (perhaps the pattern for the routing?), then spray paint, then peel off the film (or sand, for shellac or wax, assuming the paint doesn't just peel off it).

If it were me, I'd be using a paper template anyway, for the routing, and I'd tack it on with a light spray adhesive. After routing, I'd spray, then peel off the template, then sand the top to clean up the edges.

For poured paint, why not tinted epoxy?

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I could be wrong but I do not think paint makes a good filler. If you pour it in it is likely to crack as it cures.

Reply to
Leon

I've done a little playing around with signs after coming into some reclaimed redwood, and I really like the look of routing the background rather than the letters, then painting the raised letters. Easier to paint, too.

For what it's worth, if you're going to let the redwood weather naturally, it's not a bad idea to use a solid stain rather than paint- that way it simply fades over time, instead of peeling and blistering. Makes touch-up a whole lot easier. The only trick to it is keeping the stain back a little way (maybe 1/16") from the edge, so it doesn't bleed along the grain on the face of the sign.

Reply to
Prometheus
  1. Rout the sign
  2. Spray paint the letters
  3. Use a belt sander to remove the over spray. Works for me.

Vic

Reply to
Vic