paint/finish for whirligigs

Hello everyone

I have a question regarding how to properly protect something like a whirligig that is outside all the time. Can I paint it with water-based paints and then use marine varnish over that? What is the common-sense approach here? Also, are any kinds of wood better/worse that others in terms of absorbing water?

Thanks very much. Adriaan

Reply to
Joe

Yes. You'll want to apply a sealer coat of dewaxed shellac between the water-based paints and varnish. Zinsser makes a good one, and it's available at the BORG (accepted nomenclature for The Home Depot). Look for Zinsser Shellac Sealer. It's good stuff. Thin it 2:1 fresh alcohol/sealer.

O'Deen

--

- Home of the World-Famous Original Crowbar FAQ

Reply to
Patrick Olguin (O'Deen)

Primer

Aluminium paint (to protect the wood - this is the layer that does all the work)

Coloured paints

Varnish (to protect the coloured stuff. Use one with good UV resistance)

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley