Padauk darkening with age

I've just started into woodworking and have been building small jewelry boxes out of Padauk. I love the orange colour and when finished with Tung oil and wax, it looks terrific. Unfortunately, I discovered by accident (had a box on a table in the sun) that the wood seems to turn from orange to dark brown with age.

Is there any finish or something I can apply to prevent this colour change?

Reply to
Alan

Alan,

Sorry brother, you're out of luck. You can;t stop that Padauk from it's gradual (sometimes rapid) evolution. You can however slow it a little. First, keep it away from natural light; second, use a blonde or super blonde shellac and stay away from oils; third, accept that it will darken regardless of what you do.

Good luck. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence R Horgan

A finish with UV inhibitor is needed. Or, keep it out of the sun

John

Reply to
John Crea

The darkening will eventually stop if you keep it out of the sun. I have a bookcase that I built about 20 years ago made out of Padauk and it is still red but darker. no mistaking it for any other wood if you know that you are looking at.

Reply to
Leon

I read somewhere that oil finishes worsen the darkening and make it happen sooner. Truth, I dunno'.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt