Ouch

Actually, a lot of kidding.

I was the rookie back then, so most of it was good natured.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Do they make bullet proof cups?

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Knitted glass, epoxy and Airex foam will create a structure that stops a copper jacketed .357 Mag at 20 ft.

I have the test sample from my boat to prove it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Wow..how thick is that sandwich?

Reply to
Robatoy

The secret is the Airex foam, since it captures the slug.

Total sandwich is about 1-1/2" consisting of 1/4" knitted glass skins and 1" Airex core.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

But strapping a boat to ones crotch is problematic.....

Mark

Reply to
Markem

A cup made of that sandwich would make Sigfried and Roy jealous!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Which is why they use it to make gloves for woodcarvers? Actually, I believe the problem with Kevlar and knives, arrows, etc. is that the design allows those long pointy thingies to push between the woven material and part it, allowing their passage. Doubt that an errant piece of carbide would have the mass, trajectory and energy to make it past. As for blunt trauma... If the whole bit went flying and it you, that might well be a concern. That little piece that Robatoy "lost" probably would have hardly been felt against a leather, let alone Kevlar, apron.

True but a guy I know who tested his 2nd Chance vest said the bruising wasn't all that bad when compared to being shot

Loose Mexican blanket in the shop? Sounds like a definite safety hazard. Imagine the damage that thing could do if it got caught up in Morris's bot! The damage from the bowls of salsa and taco chips that were sitting on it alone could wreak havoc with the shop's occupants.

Reply to
Say What?

Some one must be real protective of their fishing hole if you had to make a bullet proof boat. Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

Yeah... it would be just like Lew to trailer his 55-foot ketch to a lake to go fishing... Personally, I think he's more worried about pirates in the Madagascar Straight.

Reply to
Robatoy

Could care less about fishing; however, uncharted reefs, atolls, another boat, a partially submerged container, etc, are a different matter.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

From the looks of that clean break in the carbide, it looks like it was a flaw in the carbide tip. I worked in the carbide industry for 30 yrs and when it's a clean smooth surface, like your picture, that's an internal flaw in the carbide tip. Probably a microscopic crack in the material. If surface of the break was rough, then you would have hit something to fracture it. Send it back, they owe you a new one. Glad you didn't get hurt.

Reply to
dabears525

Thanks for that input. As expected, the fabulous people at Royce-Ayr have sent me a new one, no questions.

Reply to
Robatoy