OT: WW in Seattle area

Earlier on today I applied for a job in Seattle. At the time I was only half-hearted, yet, after thinking about it, I realise I am quite qualified for the position. So, if it were to come off, what is the area like for acquiring wood? Expensive or not? I haven't been in the States since late

1999 and I never got to Seattle when I was there so I am not familiar with it.

This time though, I'll make sure I get to a WW show or two, and meet up with some fellow moron bench dwellers!

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

I checked woodfinder for a very wide search since you didn't say exactly what you wanted and there appear to be lots. The first 10 were:

search criteria: Retail or retail/wholesale sales businesses closest to zip code '98115' Thank you for using WoodFinder! Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #2 Seattle WA (2 miles) Compton Lumber & Hardware Seattle WA (6 miles) Crosscut Hardwoods, Seattle Seattle WA (7 miles) Hardwoods Supply, Inc. Redmond WA (8 miles) Woodcraft Seattle WA (10 miles) Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #15 Tukwila WA (16 miles) Edensaw Woods, Ltd. Port Townsend WA (37 miles) The Wood Well Port Townsend WA (37 miles) Western Green Woods Port Townsend WA (37 miles) NW Wood Tacoma WA (38 miles)

Hope that helps, Dave in Fairfax (with parents in Seattle)

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Expensive, but a great selection. S3S cherry at Crosscut goes for about $6-$7. Compton is my choice for sheetgoods and construction grade lumber. They have everything-- baltic birch in thicknesses from 1/8 to 3/4, 5 by 10 sheets of particleboard for countertops, 2 thicknesses of bendable plywood for veneering. Edensaw has a warehouse full of quality veneer in every species at great prices and seems to encourage the hobbyist purchasing small quantities. I can't say enough good things about that company. They also sell hardwood, but I'm not familar with their prices.

Reply to
JFCBAS

Woodworking?!?! You philistine, we don't cut down trees in Seattle, we hug them. Besides, haven't you heard about the constant rain? We make everything out of plastic and concrete. With the rain and being so close to salt water, all of our tools rust out anyway. ;-)

I have purchased wood from Crosscut hardwoods, the local Rockler franchise, and Hardwoods Supply. I have not found any great bargains on wood at these locations.

If you are in town, check out the showroom for Northwest Fine Woodworking in downtown Seattle:

Neil

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JFCBAS) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com:

I imagine that almost any hardwood that was harvested in the United States, and then needed to be shipped 2500 miles, then retailed, would be 'expensive'.

On the other hand, the Seattle portion of the world has marvelous native woods in great variety and abundance, with which artisans have been creating really nice things, for generations.

One of the great activities I have been wanting to see in the Northwest is the wooden boat building gatherings. I can do straight and plumb, but if one of my tables isn't exactly perfect, nobody has to go swimming. The folks who build wooden craft that brave the ocean when everything isn't just perfect deserve a whole different level of respect, in my mind. I suspect they have much from which I could learn.

Some September, maybe....

Patriarch, who would REALLY like to visit some of the Viking museums someday, being of Danish descent...

Reply to
patriarch

Take a look at

the Family boatbuilding link for small boats, and the Online Calendar for events. There are also links to large wooden boat building projects there also. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Quilted maple is one of our local specialities. There are some pictures at the bottom of this page.

Reply to
Charles Erskine

It's a good place to live and a good place for WW. If you think you're going to actually get there, drop me a note and I'll spill all I learned living there..

Good luck with the job! Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:36:32 GMT, "Rob Stokes" calmly ranted:

Hmmm, doesn't "Seattle" mean "42 degrees and raining" in the Haida, Siuattle, and other Indian languages?

(Ditto, Grogs.)

========================================================= Save the Whales +

the whole set! + Website design and graphics =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you can't see Mt.Rainier, it's raining - if you can see it, it's going to rain.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

"You can tell when it's summer in Seattle -- the rain feels _warmer_."

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:25:25 GMT, Doug Winterburn calmly ranted:

And that's pronounced "rainy" + "er", right?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

An authoritative "yes" - spent my first 46 years on the west side of the Cascades (and a few summers on the west side of the Olympics - read rain forrest).

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Make that forest - my son's name is Forrest...

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

yeah.....so?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:46:22 GMT, Doug Winterburn calmly ranted:

Yeah, the leeward side do get a bit damp. Brookings gets 100" and we get 32. The difference is a set of hills.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dat'd be the windward side :-) I learnt never to pi^H^Hspit into the wind.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I had a "short" conversation with SWMBO about it the other night. It seems I wasn't thinking straight when I expressed an interest in that job, and I need to 'get my mind right' . Every "yabbut" I uttered got me look that'd freeze a bird in flight. Neanderkid butted in and got sliced, diced and spat out. Neandergirl managed to open her mouth but whatever was supposed to come out wouldn't release its grip on her tonsils. My side of the discussion went something along the lines of:

"Yes dear, but..." "Have you considered..."

"Yabbut..."

"bbut..."

"bu..." , , then a followed by a withering

"...sigh..."

Apparently the kids need to finish high school first and, despite what they say or think, they don't want to go back to the States just yet. So, it seems my expression of interest was just that. Thanks for the thoughts just the same.

I think I've been cat-whipped, or whatever that phrase is...

Reply to
Greg Millen

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 04:03:46 GMT, Doug Winterburn calmly ranted:

Oops, I be on the leeward side, but far after your liquid has dropped. Your next comment reminds me of the SNL rendition of and old Dylan song which went

"The answer, my friend, ain't pissin' in the wind. The answer is pissin' in the sink."

you hurt more. + Web application programming =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 05:03:13 GMT, "Greg Millen" calmly ranted:

"Oh, one of THOSE conversations. I see." smiled the confirmed bachelor.

Grok, Grogs. Condolences.