OT: Wall Mounting Help

I have been asked to mount a set of speakers to a wall. Where they will be positioned I am told they can not be mounted to a stud. But the downside is the wall is plaster and lathe.

The speakers weigh 15 lbs. each. My question can these be mounted?

I have already been told, no shelf system or floor standing. Here is a link I was given to what would be used:

Bill Davis Jr

Anything can be mounted to a wall, given the proper anchor. What are the manufacture's instructions or recommendations for mounting the units? If the home owner's walls don't have accommodations for mounting, why would it be up to you to supply such accommodations if you are just the installer? Do they, now, want you to do more than just install the units, ie., remodel/reinforce the wall, a particular way, to accept these units? If so, then remodel/reinforce the wall to support the units.

Reply to
Sonny

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

I bet you could get away with plastic wall anchors (15 lbs isn't that much), but to be on the safe side, you could do as a previous poster said and go with a toggle-style anchor.

todd

Reply to
todd

load, but plaster and lath is possibly stronger than 1/2" drywall. It's a lot harder to tear it off of the wall than drywall ! Cracking the plaster is a much bigger deal than a crack in drywall. If you drill the mounting holes slowly, then you will minimize damage.

Tom in KY, with huge speaker boxes taking up a he** of a lot of room in my living room.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

There are framed pictures and mirrors heavier than that hanging on plaster walls almost everywhere. You'll need hollow wall fasteners that are insterted into holes you'll drill in the wall. I haven't lived with plaster / lath walls in a while but I hung some pretty heavy things using them.

Here's the first hit from my Google search using "hang artwork plaster wall"

Reply to
Ba r r y

since the customer has already decided where and how you are going to mount these things, follow the mounting instructions that come with the brackets exactly- but first make sure the customer accepts liability if the thing falls off of the wall.

Reply to
bridgerfafc