OT visa MC refused in Holland no chip

No need to feel persecuted, France changed to chipped cards before the UK did (over 5 years ago) and I remember having to phone my bank for a chipped card after my son told me of the problems he had had there.

Reply to
Bob Martin

You or somebody else is getting confused with RFID tags which are read remotely. These have gold contact pads which make contact with contacts in the machine - like an SD or other memory card.

Reply to
Stuart

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks, Ed!! She only tried the cards once, and maybe it was a balky girl at the window, who knows. I'll let you know whether the CitiBank MC I'm going to get is Chip and PIN or sign.

I still like the idea of a prepaid card to take ?s to Europe, even if it is only a maximum of $1500 per card.

Reply to
Han

Stuart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk:

Bing!! We have a winner!! No RFID here.

Reply to
Han

No, they have to make provision for signature only cards too - my grandparents c an't be bothered remembering more numbers, so they still have signature cards.

Reply to
David Paste

Oh! I hadn't even seen those before.

or
Puffington Host finally broke the story here last November, I guess.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mayhaps it's a function of how off the tourist/business traffic path one is. I'd think the places that are catering to those would have very difficult time in a blanket refusal; there's just too much business a-going to not. Then again, if their admin is as little in tune w/ business as is our current, one can imagine rules of much negative consequence being imposed w/o consideration for same...

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:jhjqhg$p08$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

I blame the whole thing my wife encountered recently on the nitwittiness of one window clerk (female) at the railroad ticket counter in Schiphol Airport. Or her bad time of month or whatever. My wife had enough cash, and didn't try her cards somewhere else. In the end no harm was done, but for some reason it was just about the first thing (well ...) she told me after coming home. She went alone to Holland this time because her sister in law was rather sick and I had to do grandpa duty while she was away. In the past we had gone together, or I went alone.

In the past I've almost always used the chip and pin card from my Dutch bank when in Europe, because of the lack of penalty in the form of exchange fees and bad exchange rates; in contrast to what happens with a US credit card. I well remember the extra charges when renting a car in Pisa (Italy has special laws that require you to buy extra insurance).

In the future we'll either together or separately use one or another chip and pin card, you can bet on that.

Reply to
Han

It may not have been her fault at all. My Mastercard which was recently upgraded with all the chip and pin options, was refused twice by the same grocery store. When I called Mastercard to inquire, they said is was probably because that terminal wasn't using the latest software.

Reply to
Dave

On 2/16/2012 3:16 PM, Han wrote: ...

It's been quite a spell; it might (probably is?) worse now what w/ the plethora of additional fees and charges, etc., they've added--seemingly something new almost daily.

Back then, my small-business AmEx was equivalent enough to what I could do direct on exchange I didn't feel at all put out. Combined w/ easy to use anywhere in UK/France/Germany, it was about all I carried except for an emergency cash fund 'just in case'. I'd surely do some checking today before just tried that, for sure, though (altho since retired and have closed that account anyway).

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:jhk1ju$arg$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

I am originally Dutch, and got an account through my family. I've kept it despite the monthly fees just to make things easier for the few things we buy over there, and for vacations. With the internet, banking gets almost easy worldwide.

Reply to
Han