OT visa MC refused in Holland no chip

This is definitely Off Topic

My wife had to go to Holland for a week because of family illness. While there her credit cards were refused, because of an apparently new policy that American credit cards without a "chip" are being refused. Chase Visa Freedom doesn't have them, nor does Amazon Visa. Apparently a Visa Btrish Aorways card may have a chip. Citibank was nice and is sending me new MC cards with a chip.

If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe (certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be prepared for hassles.

Reply to
Han

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in the UK.

Reply to
Stuart

What effect has the practice had on credit card theft and online scams?

Reply to
Swingman

My chipped card only runs on 110V, will it work over there? :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

That seems very strange as much US tourist/business traffic as there is that they aren't making foreign payments into the country as painless as possible???? There surely must be a mechanism (altho it's been >10 yr since last traveled there).

--

Reply to
dpb

No idea but we're stuck with it

Reply to
Stuart

Reminds me of a lawyer who once worked for me. When asked if he would take a case involving suing a bank, his response was basically that in law school the answer to every question that had the word "bank" in it was automatically: "the bank wins".

Banks do what they can get away with, and we have to put up with it.

Reply to
Swingman

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@dp8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

I can get you a cheap one. Just send me your ...

Reply to
Han

It's cut down the 'scams' at the shop (stores) checkouts by quite a bit, but internet shopping and other 'card holder not present' (e.g. telephone orders) [1] seemed to be showing an increase in fraudulent use a while back.

[1] Where Chip and Pin is not used and a greater reliance is put on the three digit 'security number' on the back of the card.
Reply to
Ormolu

Like

Reply to
-MIKE-

That has become standard operation over here in the New World...

Reply to
Richard

The same "Chip & PIN" as this?

Larry W

Thinking of another thread and the need for control of dangerous credit cards, like the one my estranged wife uses, I propose a new invention that, unlike its inspriation, will surely have few objections from the esteemed readers of this newsgroupr. May I present for your consideration:

*** THE CREDIT CARD STOP! ****
Reply to
Larry W

is 100% secure in this world no matter what system of transaction protection you use - there will always be someone who will find a way round the system.

Me, I'm just waiting for the creation of the 'superbug' that will circumvent all the IT protections that banks use thus crippling the world banking system - now that really will f**ck the Chip and Pin system up when (not if) that happens.

Reply to
Ormolu

Reminds me of a lawyer who once worked for me. When asked if he would take a case involving suing a bank, his response was basically that in law school the answer to every question that had the word "bank" in it was automatically: "the bank wins".

Banks do what they can get away with, and we have to put up with it.

Ah, yes, the golden rule: they have the gold, they make the rule.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Texas

It may have changed in the past few months, but when I was in Italy and Ireland in October, my cards worked just fine. I'm told though, that some places just don't want to use the US versions and refuse them, even though they can take them with a bit of effort.

I was also told by Citi Bank that they are not offering chip & pin cards anyway, in the US.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Be sure to buy Faraday cage card cases for them before you go out.

93 hits on eBay. Passport covers and wallet inserts are available, too.

People are walking around with card scanners just waiting for fresh cards. I even saw that in a movie recently.

Like this.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah. Just call them and give them your credit card number and security code. They'll do the rest!

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Two possible answers: Bwahahahahahaha! or Any table/jig/circ/recip saw or pair of scissors will work for that.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just wrap the card in some aluminium foil. Make sure to seal it on all edges (oragami masters may make a fancy case) so the radio signals can't get out.

I haven't tested it (I refuse to use the "Blink" ''feature'' of my card), but it should work.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper