Woodshop Injury

The recent threads about tape measures reminded me of a serious injury I received from one not long ago. I was measuring a board about 6 feet long. When done, I pushed the release and the tape retracted with such force that my index finger became pinched between the housing and the little tab at the end of the tape.

I decided to take action. First step was to lock up all my tape measures in a strong safe, far away from the grandchildren and untrained users.

Next, I wrote letters to all the consumer agencies and my faithful public servants, the congress people and asked that they pass laws governing the use of the tape measure.

Then, I got to work on a new invention. I have a working model of a protection device. When the tape retracts, it has a sensor on the end that will stop the tape just short of your finger. It comes to a dead stop and it even ejects the hook on the end to eliminate any possibility of contact. In order to work, you do have to plug the tape measure into a 120V outlet, but hey, a minor inconvenience to stop a pinch. I've thinking of a 220 model for heavy industry use too.

So far, I've only tested it on hot dogs. I'm looking for volunteers to put their finger in place, but frankly, no one has had the courage to do so.

I'm going to market it as Tape Stop. Kind of a catchy name huh? I just invented the name too. Once perfected, I'm going to demo it to lawmakers and safety experts. I think it should be mandated to be on every tape measure sold. Its for the children, you know.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll take two. Next, please work on a nonslip #2 square drive bit, unlike the one that slipped yesterday and buried itself two skin layers deep in the palm of my hand.

Larry (the guy with the bandaid on his left paw.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Kind of funny. TS, it has more than one meaning. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

WERE you using the guard or operating with out the guard.....????

Reply to
Leon

You laugh (me too, good post). But one of the worst cuts I've ever gotten in the shop came from a small precision Inca ruler.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It doesn't matter. Even using all the safety equipment on the tape, since it was not equipped with Tape Stop technology the company is liable.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Something akin to a drawer slide soft close would be a welcome addition to most tape measures. Some of them hit so hard when retracting that they'll roll down the driveway, hit a bump, and dent a car.

My Craftsman tape does seem to have some sort of limiter, but not all do.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Some of the worst cut I ever received by the edge of the paper instructions.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

How about a "Typing Stop" or "Keyboard Stop?" You know, something that would stop people from typing ridiculous usenet posts? Maybe it would only need to work on the key.

Reply to
Larry W

I was able to bypass it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Simpler to just learn how to use it, dummy with lots of money.

Reply to
Twayne

I bet it was a Fastcap tape!

Yes, you are using a Fastcap tape, you need to test with a Stanley tape, less courage needed...

What are you, a commie lawyer... I'll *NEVER* buy one, no matter how safe. I know how to cut off a finger to save a thumb...

Reply to
Jack

All my nicks and cuts came from hand tools. Don't recall ever getting an injury from a power tool. Maybe that's why I love power tools and find hand tools... Neanderthalic, or maybe the hand tools know how I feel and are out to get me:-)

Reply to
Jack

Dare I say it? ME TOO!

Reply to
Larry W

Atta Boy, LW. You get an AOL for today.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques