OT: Toilet question

A couple of years ago, I replaced the toilet valve and observed that it did not operate at all, if I opened the water supply line valve (at the wall) much more than say a turn and a half. I have since lived with the fact that the tank took a minute or two to fill.

Today, in performing not directly-related work, the plumber said he replaced the water supply line (to remedy the problem above). He said there is a "safety feature" in the supply line (or something to that effect) that caused my problem. So, I deduce, "high pressure" in the supply line can cause it to cease? Is this correct (please explain)? I no longer have the old supply line hose, so I can't describe it carefully.

Please help me understand this, so I can return to feeling like I mostly-understand how my toilet works! : )

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Never heard of that in a supply line, does not mean that it does not exist. But changing supply lines like changing the washer hoses is recommended, (going on ten years I like living dangerous ;0 ).

Reply to
Markem

Washer water supply lines have had this feature for a number of years, now. It's to prevent flooding in the case of a ruptured line. Whenever you turn off the water main, you should try to open it slowly to prevent a rush of pressure.

It's not big deal. All you have to do is turn the supply valve off. Disconnect the supply line and sort of tip it back and forth (I believe it's a ball type check valve) to "reset" the safety valve, reconnect the hose and slowly turn on the supply valve.

If they've started making these for toilets, that's a good call, IMO.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Mike,

It's Big Deal if you don't know there is a check valve in the hose! Thank you very much!!! I will be examining these hoses up-close at the store! Your lesson will surely save me future grief with washing machines too! Thank you for the lesson; I appreciate it!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You're very welcome. That's what this group is *supposed* to be about. Well, for woodworking at least. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'm thinking the the supply line hose was the type that if the hose breaks it shuts the supply off.

Reply to
woodchucker

WC, In my earlier research, I encountered some which would *bend*--which would shut the supply off. You are surely right, that there was a "safety mechanism" (which was my culprit!)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think woodworking is the center of each of our universes, but we have to deal with all of these "trials and tribulations" on our journey... Let he or she without a toilet to maintain cast the first stone... : ) By the way, I tried to answer my question using the Internet before I posted it here, but I was unsuccessful.

To get this on topic: I received a Stanley #92 (low-angle) plane for my birthday. You may not be able to see your reflection in it like its Veritas counterpart, but it's substance inspires some confidence! I didn't find (truly) sharp peripheral edges, as some reviewers have mentioned. I expect to have experience with it pretty soon. I'll post a picture of something wooden! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill