OT - Stem Cell Research, is it ethical?

Weigh that against the consequence to the woman (for most, an inconvenience, though of course, a major one) and to the fetus (death). So, if there's a possibility that the fetus is a person with rights, doesn't it deserve additional consideration because the penalty for being wrong is so great? Here's a question no one on the pro-abortion side wants to answer. Let's say for a moment that none of us truly knows if the fetus is a person with rights. Maybe it's a person, maybe it's not. Good Lord, what if you're wrong? 1.3 million persons are exterminated every year! If I'm wrong, a whole bunch of women are inconvenienced for 9 months. (Please leave out the rape cases and those causing death to the mother...they're a tiny fraction of the total).

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

becomes human is, as you say, a matter of opinion. When there is a conflict between the woman and the fetus, I'd have to come down on the side of the woman. That's the only justification I need.

First, I'd ask you to define conflict and then I'd ask you to apply the logic to the justification to ending any life... fetus to adult. Self-preservation I'll buy along with numerous other extenuating circumstances... personal inconvenience or the avoidance of unpleasant consequences due to poor decisions.... I have to draw the line there.

Reply to
mel

Fred the Red Shirt

Reply to
Michael Roberts

Hey, check the title of the thread. See the "OT" in it? Stands for "off topic". If you don't like reading off-topic threads, there's a simple solution: don't read them.

Doug Miller

Hi Doug,

Interesting as this discussion may be, you have just argued for reducing the entire usenet to one large group - as long as people just start their threads with OT. You cannot be serious ?

Reply to
Soeren

If you don't like to read complaints about off-topic threads there's a simple solution: Don't read the off-topic threads.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Ever been in a shop with your co-workers? Did you all focus on the job at hand with a single-minded intensity, or chat about things that had nothing whatsoever to do with work to pass the time between those moments when focus on the job was absolutely necessary? There sure is a place for "shop talk" in a woodworking forum, at least in my opinion.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Hi,

Prometheus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That would IMO hold true if this was real life, but I think this (and other) discussion group(s) are more to be likened with say books - and who would like a book on one subject waisting time/space on perhaps 50% or more which had absolutely nothing to do with what they got the book for.

So I could ask you back: Ever been in a shop where all the nails, screws, bolts etc. of all sizes was tossed in one large box and all the tools in another - I think there is good reasons to keep wood issues in one group and political issues in another, then we _all_ can select what each of us want and be spared what we find "noise" - I guess you wouldn't be too happy if I drummed up a couple of wood working buddies and started a flood of discussions of say metalworking, motorcycling, robotics, local politics, (or whatever we are presently debating amongst us), in this group ?

And yes, I know I probably cannot expect any changes on this, but that will not keep me from expressing my opinion on the subject.

Of course, it has much to do with the balance of off topic to on topic posts and the general magnitude of the former, so here is a suggestion: Keep one single thread for OT posts and discuss *anything* OT in that single thread - that should appeal to your (and others) arguments of talking about a diverse range of subjects *and* keep the focus on woodwork overall :)

Reply to
Soeren
Reply to
Cute Swinger 8)