OT: (sort of) This is kinda sad....

me wonder if my kids will bother keeping anything that I've made once they bury me. On the optimistic side, these reporters will often try to take a pattern of behavior they see and make it sound like a widespread trend.

Reply to
Keith Carlson

If you really want a good cry, try this:

still have the six-drawer cherry dresser my parents got as a wedding gift. I'm 53 and yes, I was born in wedlock. :-)

My teenaged son treasures the 39 year-old pool cue that I bought at his age. He has a new cue now, but the heirloom is hung carefully on his bedroom wall. (And he still has Fuzzy, the teddy bear, and Stinky, the skunk, from his diaper days. :-)

Quality woodwork, especially that made by one's parents, will always be treasured.

Reply to
Dhakala

It doesn't have to be quality, even; just from Dad. Or Mom, as the case may be. You should see our mudroom walls; full of the stuff worth bragging about.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

I would say that the article is quite accurate. People are generally buying furniture with the idea of replacing it when styles change. Relatively few want to keep it forever. It is a widespread trend in consumer goods.

Reply to
CW

Sad, but true. OTOH, about 55 years ago my parents bought a chest of drawers for my brother and I for our bedroom. When I moved out it was his and he took it with him when he married. It was "antiqued" back when that fad hit in the 70's of so. When he moved cross country I took it back. A few weeks ago I stripped and refinished it. I found solid wood, dovetailed drawers, very good brass hardware. It is now in my office at home and I'm quite proud to have it. My guess it will last another 55 or more years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The current disposible culture now includes everything, even wives, husbands, and children.

Reply to
John

... employees ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Well all the furniture I bought from Art Van and the rest of these local 'furniture shops' have turned to dust. The old wooden end tables I obsconded with from my mothers house and abused over the years for many purposes is still rock solid.

My mother has lots of furniture from her parents home and that stuff is just great. There is no way I would pass on that stuff for the garbage they sell today and call furniture.

Sure you can get good stuff out there still Im sure, but its not easy.

And of course you have to consider that this was the _final_ furniture her parents had so they probably sifted through the garbage furniture first as well. That furniture came from lifetime of experience.

Reply to
dnoyeB

I have a music cabinet that belonged to my grandparents. It's a bit over 100 years old and was the only piece that we took with us when we bugged out of here when forest fires were threatening a couple years ago. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn