OT- Small - Automatic - Generators...?

Close, but not that easy! You would need a starter solenoid also. Then you will need something to activate the manual choke, a couple more wires and a small 12 volt solenoid. Plus a remote shut down of some sort, probably more wires and a relay to short or break the ignition power. Before you know it you will have a couple hundred dollars into a cobbled up control system. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Sure they did. I installed several of them last winter and this spring. Not all models, so it might have been some kind of a contract that was based on availability rather than KW rating, but without a doubt, some of them had Honda engines in them. I wonder if that was something that happened because of a supply/demand issue for a while. If my memory serves me correctly (and it often does not...) I think at least one 10KW (I remember this particular install too well) was a Honda.

Likewise. The biggest problem I found when called to help people who had tried it themselves was when they panic'd at the tie-ins in the main panel. Typically, these people knew absolutely nothing about wiring and really should not have tried that part on their own anyway - as you experienced. The second most common cry for help came from people who wanted the disconnect located further away from their main panel and were intimidated by constructing their own conduit from the main to the disconnect.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Home Depot's prices are pretty good on them, though locals can beat HD's price if they want to. HD charges around $1000 for the install and you can certainly beat that, even with a licensed electrician and certified gas guy.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hi Mike,

I am most appreciative of the information you provided...

Based on what you have offered and other information I have, I suspect that we will move in the guardian direction shortly.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Hi Mac,

That is useful information, but as you would agree, the capacity for a "remote start" is not the same as the capacity for an "automatic start" (that is, a generator that would start on its own in the event of an outage.)

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:21:39 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote: [... snip stuff about Genrac ...]

I've read elsewhere (alt.home.repair, IIRC) that there are two lines from Genrac. One with high speed shaft (3600rpm?) and one with low speed (1800rpm?). Apparently the high speed units are very noisy compared to the low speed units. As in "weak the dead" noisy. And it is this version that is offered by the borgs.

Can you corroborate or refute that information?

TIA.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

Not really true. The RPM depends on the model. All the smaller air cooled units run at 3600 RPM, ALL OF THEM. Some of the liquid cooled units run at

3600 or 1800, some even run at 2300 RPM with a gear reduction between the engine and generator head. The reason for the difference in RPM is they will take a ~50 HP engine and run it at 1800 RPM to produce 20KW. Then turn around and use the same engine running at 3600 RPM to produce 25KW. That engine will not produce enough HP to run a 25KW unit at 1800 RPM. Some sizes do come in 1800 or 3600 RPM. It is not just a Home Depot deal. As A dealer we can order certain sized generators in either RPM, but the lower RPM units are from from the same "model". Generac builds "sound attenuated" units for customers that want quieter units, and are willing to speed more $$. Not a different line, just different models offered in the same line. Sort of like buying a Chevy Impala, or a Cadillac, or maybe a Corvette. Different models for different purposes, and prices. As for the noise, the 3600 RPM air cooled units are surprisingly quiet. If you sit the generator right next to the home you will hear it run, but turn on a TV, or a radio and you probably will not even notice it. And if you do notice the engine running, the noise gives you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you are staying warm and secure, while your neighbors are panicking and getting ready to storm your house and take it over! ;-) Take some time and shop all you like.
Greg O

When the neighbor's is running and I'm outside I can hear it, but not when I'm inside unless I'm in that end of the house and listening for it.

Was looking at one at Home Despot today--1 liter 2 cylinder engine--bigger engine than my motorcycle has and makes a fraction of the power--very, very conservative design IMO. And the smallest model is on clearance for under $2000 if you can find one in stock anywhere.

Reply to
J. Clarke

What you read is pure bunk. It's the stuff that is typical of trash-the-BORG stuff. They are the same generators. Home Depot does not spec products from manufacturers. They simply sell what the manufacturer builds.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You won't be regretting that decision. Feel free to ask away with any questions and now that we've discovered Greg O. in this thread, you should look to him for some solid input. While I have some experience with these things, Greg is clearly the more attuned one. He works with them every day and he's also proven that he knows what he's talking about. Now - when it comes time to paint that mother...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You don't need to find in stock. Just ask them to order it in for you - at the clearance (is it really a reduced or a clearance) price. They will.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

nope, it doesn't... I was just answering your question.. Of course, it may very well work with a control panel like the Honda option..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

good point... we didn't pursue it, as we have more faith in the Mexican power company than he does... His price did include the starter solenoid and kill switch, but I never thought about the choke..

They are impressive... During the Baja 1000 a few weeks ago, a chopper flew into the power lines between Ensenada and San Felipe, killing the crew and blacking out a large chunk of Baja California.. We got power back within 6 hours, at about 11pm..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

For sure.. I was just answering someone's question about my cheapie generator having a starter housing on it..

As a matter of fact, I'm glad that we kept the generator mobile, as a friend is borrowing right now until THEY get electricity..lol We were pretty lucky.. we got power within 3 months of moving into the house.. some folks have been waiting for a year or more..