OT: Request for Guacamole recipe.

I have tried quite a few recipes over the years, and I was curious if any of our illustrious membership had any to share. Some of you being from Tejas and Baja and such exotic places.

It was via this medium that I found out about fine diced apples in potato salad.... to die for.

Robatoy

RE: Subject

Guacamole AKA: Green Goop, Green Grease.

Take your choice.

I'm convinced you have to grow up with the stuff to appreacite it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The one below is from Emeril and is to die for.

..................................................................... FLO'S ROASTED POTATO SALAD

NOTE: This version uses parsley. Alternate version uses cilantro.

2 pounds new potatoes 10 cloves of fresh garlic Drizzle of olive oil Salt Freshly ground black pepper 3/4 cup homemade mayonnaise, or store bought 2 tablespoons Creole Mustard Juice of one fresh lemon 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced 1/2 pound bacon, rendered until crispy 1/2 small red onions, thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, toss the potatoes and garlic with a drizzle of olive oil. Toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Using a mini food processor, combine the mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add the parsley and continue to process until incorporated. In a mixing bowl, toss the roasted potatoes and garlic, mayonnaise, sliced eggs, bacon and red onions. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator and mix the salad. Reseason with salt and pepper if needed.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Here's my recipe:

2 medium avocados, soft but not squishy 1/4 cup diced onion 1 Roma tomato, diced and seeded 1 fresh jalapeño, finely diced 1 tablespoon lime juice 1/4 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or fresh garlic) 1/4 tsp. chili powder

Coarsely chop the avocaco flesh into a mixing bowl. Add all the other ingredients. Stir to break up the avocado chunks and make a smoother mixture. Add salt, garlic powder, and chili powder to taste.

This recipe makes a chunky guacamole. If you want it smoother, use more avocados or less vegetables.

The jalapeño makes it pretty hot. Use 1/2 of a jalapeño, or leave it out if you want it milder.

The lime juice helps keep the guacamole from oxidizing (turning black). Lemon juice does a better job, but I like the lime. Oxidized guacamole tastes the same, it's just ugly.

To store, clean the sides of the bowl, then press plastic wrap down on top of the guacamole, getting rid of all the air.

Reply to
SteveB

I use basically the same recipe except I add some sour cream.

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
mapdude

First of all is that you must accept the truth that there is NO such thing as "chicken" fajitas.

Once you can wrap your mind around that truth, then you're ready to do basic guacamole the way they used to do it in old Mejico:

Mash avocado with just enough fresh lime juice to get the consistency you want, add salt to taste, break out the tortilla chips and cerveza. Nada mas!

Most anything else, except maybe a bit of diced tomato and onion for those extra festive occasions, is gringo ... like "chicken" fajitas. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Comments to basic recipe below...

Throw in some cilantro (unless it tastes like soap to ya).

Don't use garlic powder, for heaven's sake! Chop up some fresh garlic.

Chili powder? Hmm, never tried that.

I also squeeze lime juice on top of the guac in the container to form a thin layer of protection against the oxidation (at which point it tastes not so good to me).

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I'm in agreement the swinging man...

Take two ripe (but not over ripe) avocoados, mush them up in a bowl with a small squeeze of fresh lime, add a little salt and pepper. And like swingy said, for those festive occasions, you can add a couple of tablespoons of tomatos and onion or salsa.

Other than that, it's the avacados that I'm after. I hate to ruin them by adding all of the extra goop. It seems that the more stuff you put into guac, the more bitter it becomes. BUT If you make the basic guac, then put it in a lazy susan with divided bowls and then add to the bowls some salsa, sour cream and maybe even a little cheese dip. That way you can mix and match on your plate for variety.

I'm twith Renata, it's too much citrus is that ruins it for me. I'd rather risk a little discoloration than ruin the flavor.

First of all is that you must accept the truth that there is NO such thing as "chicken" fajitas.

Once you can wrap your mind around that truth, then you're ready to do basic guacamole the way they used to do it in old Mejico:

Mash avocado with just enough fresh lime juice to get the consistency you want, add salt to taste, break out the tortilla chips and cerveza. Nada mas!

Most anything else, except maybe a bit of diced tomato and onion for those extra festive occasions, is gringo ... like "chicken" fajitas. :)

Reply to
Kate

Ok, here's a new one for me. My wife and I were at a friends house a couple weeks ago. She had a bowl of guacamole set out. In the bowl, were the pitts of the two avocados used in the guac. When I questioned her about the potential throat plugs, camoed it the guac, she replied the pitts keep the guacamole from turning brown. Well, as luck would have it, the guacamole did not last long enough to prove her theory. Has anyone else heard of this?

Reply to
Ron Lahue

yes. i've found it doesn't work that well. if there's enough left over for it to sit around, you didn't make a very good batch anyway.

Reply to
charlie

Yes, absolutely. I've used this method and it does in fact work to some degree. Generally I will put my guac in a sealed container with the pits until time for my guests to arrive.

I generally remove the pits before serving though. As you pointed out, it never lasts long enough to test the theory once it's on the table.

K.

Reply to
Kate

Actually it goes back a little further. Leave the pit with the avocado if you don't use all of it and return it to the frig.

Reply to
Leon

I can't resist a bit or serrano or jap in there. But yours indeed is the time tested recipe, calling for good quality, ripe avocados to make the "stuff". I only add fresh, chopped, really ripe tomatoes and a bit of onion if I don't have enough avocados to get enough volume for the guests.

If you really, really want to go gringo on your guac, use dried ingredients and put on some sour cream on top before serving. Thanks Taco Bell!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41