OT: Pressure Washer

Detergent is the key. Pressure washer not so much. With the right detergent decks clean up with just a hose. For example, pure bleach can make treated lumber look brand new with almost no effort w/o a pressure washer. Of course pure bleach can damage plants and such, but they sell stuff that supposedly does this well w/o the dangers of pure bleach.

It's easy to control your spray to not damage the wood, but that almost negates the need for the pressure washer, and it takes a lot of self control to not over do it.

Once, I had a bunch of those cheap white plastic chairs that were turning black. I had to hit them hard with a pointed spray to get the baked in dirt off. After a few chairs, I noticed the surface was blown off and and the smooth plastic was like 40 grit sandpaper. Then I used straight bleach, squirted them off with a hose, and they sparkled, remained smooth.

Only time I ever got wet with mine was when the gun leaked.

Reply to
Jack

Bill I learned that the circular cleaners with bristles and with out wheels are meant to be used on walls/vertical surfaces.

Reply to
Leon

hmmm... I'll have to read up on that. I got the impression that the one you pointed me to (maybe all of them) are not suitable for use on a deck made of man-made materials--too aggressive. My 2900-psi power washer is not power adjustable, except for replacing the tip. There will be rain for much of the next three days here..then comes lawn mowing. I would like to power-wash while basking under bright sunlight--so I can really enjoy it! %-) I don't recall, but I don't think the power washer you pointed me to has a "quick connect" (I could be mistaken). I have been leaning towards a $60 unit surface cleaner and a 36" wand (somewhat because they have those in stock at Lowes, and therefore there would be no inconvenient "quality control and/or compatibility" issues), but I'm still willing to become more informed! Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

When Leon uses the words "meant for vertical surfaces" I'm not sure if he m eans "only for" or "can also be used on" vertical surfaces.

The box for my Greenworks bristle only surface cleaner starts with "Great f or cleaning garage floors, driveways, patios, sidewalks, deck and other flat surfaces." It the n adds "Also cleans garage doors, house siding, stone walls and other vertical surfaces."

It doesn't use the word "great" for the vertical surfaces but I'm not sure if we should read anything into that. My point is that vertical surfaces are listed *after* h orizontal surfaces. I did use it for some vertical sections made from pressure treated wood and it worked fine. Obviously it was a bit more cumbersome to use, but it got the job done.

As far as the quick connect, I had to buy a $10 "later model" wand for my w asher in order to use the surface cleaner. At least now I can buy more tips if I want.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I like the adjustable tip that allows changing the spray width between wide (weakest) to focused (strongest) on the fly.

Reply to
Jack

Wheels roll more easily on concrete. Wheels probably do not work well on uneven surfaces like siding or uneven surfaces. I think the wheels would provide a smoother operation and more consistent distance from the surface.

Reply to
Leon

D.D., I looked up the one you provided a link to, and I appreciate it, but it does not support "higher" psi's".

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

This one supports max 3100 psi. Your PW is rated at 2900, right?

DerbyDad03

Other options:

DerbyDad03

Yes, I have looked at all of those, and will probably pick one. I've got 2 of them on my "wish list". IIRC, the main difference lies in the type (or lack of) bearings. To ensure that my first experience with the washer goes successfully, I will probably buy a surface cleaner locally. Thank you!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

FWIW, I ordered the Karcher 15" surface cleaner, since, according to reviews I read, it is the only one in this price range that has replaceable bearings (instead of teflon washers). Don't ask me any questions, I'm just repeating what I read! : ) It also has very good reviews. Thank you!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

To return to this discussion on one point: I called Simpson about winterizi ng my pressure washer because there was nothing in the owner's manual. The representative said to use the following and I'll be fine:

Michael

My new pressure washer is hibernating until spring, while the list of projects I have for it grows. I also picked up the surface cleaner and extension wand, so I'll be ready to go.

32-degrees F. in the evening here this week.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

dp/B06XPX3CVC

zing my pressure washer because there was nothing in the owner's manual. Th e representative said to use the following and I'll be fine:

Do you not find this spec just a bit strange?

"Protects pump from freezing temperatures up to 25° Fahrenheit"

I wonder what happens above 25°F.

What's that cracking sound I hear?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

/dp/B06XPX3CVC

rizing my pressure washer because there was nothing in the owner's manual. The representative said to use the following and I'll be fine:

28 degrees tonight here. Glad I took care of it tonight.
Reply to
Michael

zing my pressure washer because there was nothing in the owner's manual. Th e representative said to use the following and I'll be fine:

I am sure that is a typo on the ad as the other products on the site that d o the same thing (and Karcher brand is cheaper) correctly say they protect down to -25 degrees.

Thanks for posting that. I use "Pump Armor" in my two airless sprayers and swear by it as it has kept them alive LONG past their due date. I never th ought to look for a product to protect my power washer, which should have b een something I keyed in on.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I wonder if this will help the pressure washer pump prime faster. O refuled and cranked my pressure washer up for the first time in 30 months and it started on first pull. I drained the fuel out back then.

But it takes forever, 5 minutes or so, for the water to go through the pump and into the spray hose/wand, after sitting.

Reply to
Leon

You know... that's a pretty good question. I don't see why it wouldn't hel p the pump prime faster. Part of the reason that that SW told me to /alway s/ keep "Pump Armor" in my airless if I am going to store it for 30 days or more is that it coats the metal piston parts (to prevent rust, even though they are stainless) and to keep the seals lubricated.

I think you might be on to something. Certainly cheap enough to try. HD s ells the Karcher brand of pump armor for a couple of bucks less than in the link, so why not?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I actually ordered the Briggs & Straton brand, it is an aerosol and it foams. I think it might be less wasteful and penetrate better. Should be here Monday.

Reply to
Leon

I hold the trigger until water comes out the nozzle BEFORE I start the engine. Running a pump without water seems like it would drastically shorten its life.

Reply to
Larry Kraus