OT: Plumbing with Pex!

Ironically, one of the advantages of Pex is the ability to freeze with water without breaking. I don't remember the scenario which brought about this particular tangent of discussion, but the pipe used was certainly not Pex pipe.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I suspect that with traditional pipe when everything t's off a central pipe it probably mixes in the cold water from all of those other pipes.

I would also think a cold metallic pipe would absorb much of the heat from the water. The pex probably changes temperature quickly.

Reply to
Leon

But those lines will still freeze and may prevent you from using the pluming until it thaws.

Reply to
Leon

Agreed, but it beats damaged plumbing. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

That is correct. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Not to mention that frozen water "in low spots" in a "drained" system is generally not an issue with causing pipes to burst because there is room for expansion due to the draining.

That said, PEX will definitely burst if frozen. It just has the ability, due to its flexibility, to absorb some of the expansion, inherent in freezing water, that causes rigid pipe to burst.

Needless to say, you don't want to push that limited ability too far. ;)

Reply to
Swingman