OT - Please Lord Make it be October!

Wife and I just spent about one month building 225 feet of 6' privacy fence including a nice arbor. About a week ago we did the old 'dust-the-hands-together' gesture and said "Its finished. Nothing left but applying the stain/Sealer" After the third 4-5 hour stint of applying stain in 95 to 100 degree weather (we stop when the thermometer hits 100), we are barely 1/2 finished with the finishing.

As Yogi said "It ain't over 'till it's over."

Damn its hot.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

"RonB" wrote in news:YxIBg.22549$W93.16560@dukeread05:

Yeah, heat like that sucks.

~15 years ago Dad and I built about 300' of fence. The wimmen-folk did the sealing before we nailed up the boards.

When we were done, we were *done*.

Reply to
John Thomas

I take it you're painting the stainer on? ever thought of spraying it on?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Brushing the structure side and rolling the flat side. The rolling is going pretty quick and seems to press the finish into the rough cedar well. I sprayed our deck a few years ago and, besides putting a lot of the finish in the air, it just didn't seem to soak into the wood well (also warm time of year). We are using a solvent based tinting sealer and at $108/5-gallons I want every molocule I can get into the cedar.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

BUT , Believe me, I was tempted to drag the spraygun out!.

Reply to
RonB

I'm from Northern California where the temps are usually 70-75 in the summer, with low humidity, and huge ocean breezes. Now I live in the midwest, and I just swelter in this heat/humidity and my energy just gets zapped easily. So I actually prefer the cold winters here than the hot summers. People here think I'm nuts. They're used to the heat and don't know any better. "But don't you hate the snow here? There's no snow in California." I correct them: "um there is snow in CA; It snows way more in the Sierra Mountains than here in Ohio."

Reply to
grappletech

Why the spraygun? there are pressure garden sprayers out there that you pump for the pressure after each use?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Spoken like a true Mid-West immigrant from the left coast.

As someone who spent a big piece of my life in Northern Ohio, I'm glad I left.

Not seeing the sun from November to May is depressing.

Being up to your armpits in 6 ft of "partly cloudy", as Dick Goddard, the weather guru in Cleveland calls it, just plain sucks.

A few bugs and some and some humidity in the summer, both days of it, July 4-5, is a pleasant change from all that cold dirty road slop that started out as snow in the winter.

September is probably the weather highpoint of the year. After that, it's all down hill.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I used a paint sprayer, commercial model with an extension on the nozzle, and sprayed about 100 feet of fence both sides in about 1 1/2 hours. Put on a good heavy coat, it still looks good 3 years later.

Reply to
EXT