OT: Petroeum grease

Does any company on Earth still make genuine old fashioned petroleum axle grease? I go into auto parts stores in my town and cannot find any, all these lithium and other synthetic greases... know of any seller online for what I am looking for?

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Well, the reason you can't buy the old soap-based petroleum greases, is that the ones out there today are better - more moisture resistant, more thermally stable, better lubricity... what specifically are you trying to lubricate?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

lithium and other

I think he just wants to use it on Roberts ( Americans should buy LV,thread ) hind quarters so he can help him get his head out. :-) Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

Oh... just things like my hand crank drills, vise lead screws, whatever other things like that need it. I'd like a thick grease that stays for a long time. Just for the most basic uses.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Perhaps you should re-read my replies in that thread and reasses what you feel, and gain a proper perspective...? I have done nothing in text or action to offend you sir... clearity, ay? Or is it just another zodiak problem come from...

"out of the blue"?

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Ah. In that case, either a jojoba oil, or water-based lubricant would be most appropriate. See your local drugstore and/or dirty magazine merchant.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Mobil makes a red, synthetic grease that I've been using for rather a long time. Doesn't stink too bad, stays where I put it. Attracts grime of course, but I think that's just a tendancy of grease in general. Works well for everything from what you describe, to machinery zerc (sp?) fittings, to greasing up the pivot pins on the backhoe.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Joe AutoDrill

...please remember, avoid shipping [at all] costs.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

I'm not sure I follow... No shipping because that was one of the requirements I missed in the original post or because someone is super-anti-shipping or maybe because someone thinks McMaster ships badly?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

... when you can just buy it locally if you know what to look for. Issue?

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

but you asked "know of any seller online for what I am looking for?" Issue?

-j

Not to change subject but .... McMaster Carr shipping is awesome, order by

3PM and it arrives next day UPS by 6PM. Course I live bout 50 miles from the LA warehouse, but still 10 orders over the last few years same thing every time
Reply to
joey

Reply to
Jim Northey

True, but for "real, old fashioned type petroleum axle grease" like the rectangular cans of it you saw in "saving private Ryan" for making sticky bombs. That stuff.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

COOL! Now I understand, and thanks for the clearity that I* needed. My apologies for that reply for taking it wrongly then! Sorry.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Very good to know, thanks mucho. I live up in Carpinteria.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

No issue. Just curious why you said to avoid shipping at all costs. Sometimes the $ for shipping is less than the time spent looking and buying in person IMHO.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I got that beat... If I order from them by 12 noon, it is in my shop by

4:30 PM. If I order after noon, it is in my mailbox or next to my door the next morning by 6:30 AM...

McMaster is incredible...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill