OT New "Texas Survivors" season

*GASP!!*
Reply to
Robatoy

Good observation but all but one state are smaller than Texas. LOL

A funny observation, my wife, son and I visited her relatives in Burlington, Ontario in 1998. We went in our Pickup badged with our Texas plates. We first visited her aunt in Buffalo, not the one in Texas, proceeding from there she drove her car with my wife on board to lead to us to her sisters house in Burlington. The experience I had and the experience the border guard had should have been filmed and shown on one of the Funniest Video shows on TV. The border guard must have been in his early 20's and was very wise, ;~) to us Texans, especially the ones driving pick up trucks. When we went through the border crossing my wife and her aunt just scooted on through. My ten year son and I were stopped and "questioned". LOL

What is your business in Canada? How long are you staying?

Do you know what the Canada's policy is, concerning guns being brought in across the border? My comment was, YOU don't like guns and don't allow them. That apparently was the wrong answer. The question was asked again and I kinda snickered out loud. The result from that response was a memorized quote about a specific law concerning gun trafficking across the border. I nodded my head and the border guard then asked If I was bringing in a gun or guns. I responded, No, with a smile. I was hiding sumthin and he could smell the fear! He repeated the memorized quote again and asked if I was bringing in a gun or guns again. I was finally started to realize this young feller was serious or trying to be because he would almost always grin at my answers. Apparently I was not giving the answers that the training course had taught or my Texas accent was throwing him.

Finally he said don't get caught with guns here in Canada and told me to proceed to the covered parking area up ahead on the left. I said thank you and proceeded into Canada. As I approached the covered area I saw uniformed personnel disassembling vehicles and spreading their parts out all over the grounds. I veered to the right, caught up with my wife and aunt and chose not to go to the covered parking area to have my new truck disassembled. No police chase or arrests occurred involving me and we went on our merry way.

Visiting the aunt in Burlington was fun and uneventful but it was later revealed that her daughter who came to also visit and meet the "Texas relatives" commented, "they were OK, not strange or what at I expected. She was a hoot, eh! We thoroughly enjoyed the visit and put to rest all the preconceived notions about their relatives from Texas.

Reply to
Leon

I'm embarrassed for both of us. I threw that one out there (which I thought was pretty good...) and you are the only one that bit. I guess I'm gonna have to leave that finer bit of posting art to "r".

Based on personal experience. I has a sister that lived in CA, and almost without fail when visiting we were greeted with an eye roll and heavy sigh when we folks we met where we were from. Odd, not so much in the north end of the state...

Thanks, Dad. But I wasn't making a case. It was my personal observation.

So with no dog in the contest.... this is just personal?

Just take a second and breathe. I can't think of anyone that enjoys a "Texas" joke more than a Texan. The state is physically so big and diverse that jokes and ribbing abound covering all aspects of the state. We aren't always too PC, and for the most part don't care.

Please don't turn Leon and me in...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Alright now... you keep it up and there will be questions about Santa Claus as well.

As the kids say, "let's not go there".

Can I get a "yee-haw!"

;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Alright now... you keep it up and there will be questions about Santa Claus as well.

As the kids say, "let's not go there".

Can I get a "yee-haw!"

;^)

Robert

Yeeeee- Hawwwwwwwwww!

Reply to
Leon

"Dave in Houston" wrote

Yep ... except for the official Aggie hurricane evacuation route out of Houston:

610 Loop.
Reply to
Swingman

LOL, Hilda calls that I-610

In all seriousness, the quickest way to get people out of Houston is to build 3,000,000 rooms 50 miles out side the loop. Then there will actually be some where to for them go and stay.

Reply to
Leon

WOW Leon - you sure nuff know how to start a political war on the wreck! LOL! Didn't we talk about this when I lived in Texas? MORE LOL! And to think I missed the wreck that much. Just forgot some of the fun that goes on here. I'd seen this before and thinks it's as funny as ever. Having lived in Texas for 21+ years, it gives me the right to laugh. For those of you who don't thanks for the extra chuckle. Come on guys - it's a joke. Is it politically correct? Probably not . . . but then again take a look at Washington and let me know everything there is "politically correct" as well. Right on Leon

- Paul Harvey passed away . . . keep the tongue-in-cheek humor alive!

Jimmy Mac

It's obvious you've never been a law enforcement officer! It is ever so much easier to beat someone when they are pinned down. For several reasons, but mainly because it's harder for them to escape. If someone is standing when you whack them with your flashlight, they'll often just run away and, well, there you are.

If you study these videos, from Rodney King up to this girl, you'll note that the beatee is almost always on the ground.

It's your basic police training kicking in (pardon the pun).

It's obvious you've never been a law enforcement officer! As a cop, you check your humanity at the door of the precinct house. The lion tamer doesn't deliver Valentine's day chocolates to the big cats, the snake charmer doesn't engage in meaningful dialog with the Cobra. The plumber usually puts on hip boots when down in the sludge pit and a good description for a cop-job is "solid waste disposal." You've got to treat these non-human hazards in an appropriate way or they will kill you.

Don't believe me? Check this: Teenagers (well, up to about 20) kill more people than all other age groups combined.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, at 3:30 in the morning, I'm apt to bite more than I usually do and that's most of the time. So, you caught me.

Reply to
Upscale

No you don't! A valiant attempt, but you're not exempting "lesser" that easily. :)

Reply to
Upscale

OMG, take a joke.

Although, I have to say, with the possible exception of Austin, the tone of the joke is dead on. And I've been there a lot.

Now, I grew up in NYC, so if I can't take a joke about my home turf I would be in big trouble. And NY is, as we all know, the center of the universe.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpryan

I got into a cab in NYC and asked the driver for the time. He snarkily said: "You mean NOW??"

Reply to
Robatoy

I heard that if Texans did not stop bragging about how big their state is that the Alaskans are going to cut their state into two pieces and make Texas the third largest state. ;-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

Bumper sticker: "South Austin: We're all here because we're not all there"

Reply to
HeyBub

I asked a taxi driver in D.C. why there were no gun stores. The conversation went as follows:

Driver: "Where youz from?" Me: "Texas" Driver: "Youz got guns in Texas?" Me: "In general, or me personally?" Driver: "Youz personally!" Me: "Oh. I have just your basic starter-set." Driver: "Starter set? Whaz that?" Me: "Uh, short-barrel shotgun, carbine, pistol, and a throw-down. Just your basic household set. Three were wedding shower gifts." Driver: "...Wherez you want off!"

Reply to
HeyBub

WOW Leon - you sure nuff know how to start a political war on the wreck! LOL! Didn't we talk about this when I lived in Texas? MORE LOL! And to think I missed the wreck that much. Just forgot some of the fun that goes on here. I'd seen this before and thinks it's as funny as ever. Having lived in Texas for 21+ years, it gives me the right to laugh. For those of you who don't thanks for the extra chuckle. Come on guys - it's a joke. Is it politically correct? Probably not . . . but then again take a look at Washington and let me know everything there is "politically correct" as well. Right on Leon

- Paul Harvey passed away . . . keep the tongue-in-chee

Politically correct, Hell no! unless you live in Texas. ;~) So uh, are there any piney trees out there in the desert? Are you doing any wood working these days?

Reply to
Leon

I had a similar experience crossing into Canada last year in a car with Texas plates. It has to be part of their training. The question I found most odd was "Do you have guns at home?". If I did, they were at home, 1800 miles away. Not likely to be a danger to peace loving Canadians.

Three months later, I crossed into Canada in a rental car with Washington State plates. Not a single discussion of guns.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

A little profiling there. I didn't think the utopians believed in profiling. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Oh man... I like that one!!

Robert