[OT] Motion Sensing Light

The wired and wireless X-10 light switches and outlets will work if the barn and the house outlet the wired X-10 wireless receiverr is plugged into are on the same side of the split 220. The x-10 signals over the house wiring and doesn't always make it to the "other side". Yes, it's ancient technology - but it works. I have a houseful, including a programmable timer (programmed from a PC) that can have different lighting patterns every day for a year..

Looks the same to me. Be nice if TOH had named the manugacturer - but probably only if the manufacturer paid for the advertising. Considering the price increases in the magazine and the decreases in the number of issues, I'd say they're either not managing their income or they're just plain greedy.

X10 either works well or doesn't work at all. It's not just transformers that stop it (the two 120V legs can be tied together with a capacitor - X10 makes approved widgets for this purpose). Noise will also kill the X10 signal. If it works in your house, it's great stuff (for a 40 YO technology) but it often just doesn't.

Reply to
krw

Or does...then doesn't.

BTDT

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Home Depot sells wireless light switches starting around $15. I have 2 ceiling fans with lights that have this wireless switch:

It controls the lights with 3 settings and the fan with 3 speeds. They have been working perfect for about 3 years now. I would expect the light switch only would work just as well. Both fans have no other switch, so if they fail and were used because it was a whole lot easier than fishing wire.

Reply to
Jack

I'm sure you thought of this but if you're talking about an outside light, how about just a motion sensor light fixture? Wouldn't work with trees blowing in the wind or large animals walking around, but otherwise they work well.

Reply to
Jack

Is it just me or are Amazons prices on this way out of line? HD apparently sells the same thing for around $15. $200+ for a $15 switch and no green on it anywhere? For 14 times more money, I would expect some green paint somewhere....

Reply to
Jack

Perhaps you're comparing apples to oranges? The 15.10 GE wireless remote wall switch is in no way comparable to the amazon offering that you're comparing it to; amongst other things, they're designed for different applications.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Comes up as $98.99 for me. Not sure it is the same thing as the HD switch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nope...it's 10X the range, roughly, ...

Reply to
dpb

Not even close to the HD switch, which has a module that plugs into a wall plug, into which you plug the lamp. The Amazon version gets hardwired into the light fixture.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Just looked on Amazon again, still shows 1 new for just $209.94

Big deal. My HD fan switch is hard wired into the fan/light fixture and it costs just $31 and it controls the 3 speed ceiling fan and it's lights on 3 settings.

The referenced Amazon switch is just a basic light switch. If unable to find a simple wireless light switch, you could buy the Fan switch and use it just for lights. Surely one could find a wireless switch for a heck of a lot less than the listed Amazon switch which is listed new as $209.94.

If anything, I would think a module that is hard wired would be cheaper, and one that only controls one light vs a fan and a light would be cheaper as well. If anyone wishes to spend $209 for a basic wireless light switch, by all means, go for it, myself, I'd look around a bit...

Reply to
Jack