OT: Misc. Ramblings.

The thing that bugs me is that both my parents died of cancer, and not quick ones either. So I can look forward to 80 or so years of vigorous good health then a couple of years of slow torture. I'm trying for something quicker.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I did not know that; my job duties are significantly different than way back then. My day is complete, I learned something.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That's why we have a perfectly good desert here in Arizona. I gives me a free long/short term health care insurance program - all I have to do is go for a walk and the problem is solved in a day or two at most...

Mom went at 93 from a stroke (about 2 days unconscious with no pain) and Pop at 89 took a few weeks from colon cancer. Would have been a lot better for Pop if they hadn't opened him up and delayed things for those few weeks.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Ed Burke, "the father of heart rate monitor training", who trained the likes of Lance Armstrong, died very young of a heart attack.

Reply to
B A R R Y

LOL So far she has always come home. In good weather she walks around the little Texas town she lives in. In bad weather she walks the perimeter aisles at the local Wal Mart. They all know her so if she gets lost, someone will take her home.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Yep, and just recently a very young olympic marathon contender, Ryan Shay died of heart failure at the New York Marathon Olympic trials.

Many of these individuals, when you look under the covers, had some prexisting condition often congenital.

As a manufacturing manager I've been either cursed or blessed with a continual barrage of knowledge about the statistical nature of populations. When you read the headlines about any controversial event it would always be good to get back to the mean, mode, median, standard deviation, control limits and range of the particular population before forming a judgement based on the event. It will help maintain sanity in a world that pummels you with mostly negative sensational mutually exclusive events.

You may discover that the sky is actually not falling.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

Indeed ... but hard for a good many to keep in mind whilst being bombarded with election year rhetoric. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Zzzzactly! But as a very old saying goes: "nobody notices the fresh vegetables at a market, but everybody notices that one very dead fish." Nothing screws an economy more than the news that the economy is screwed.

Daughter # 3 still lives at home. When she complained about something, I pointed out to her that our household lives in the top 2% of the entire global population. We may be less fortunate than the orthodontist I keep writing 1000 dollars checks to on her behalf, but we're doing okay. No Bentley Continental R in my driveway, but I didn't think the sound system was all that great anyway..

The fact that I think life is pretty good... does THAT make me a lefty?

LOL

Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

checks to on her behalf,

Yep ... when you have a daughter, that's one 'inevitability' that goes right along with death and taxes.

Reply to
Swingman

I guess if we keep doing this long enough, evolution will eventually make orthodontists extinct. (for the same reason that if we continue to cut our hair, eventually it will stop growing... it's already working a little bit on the top of my head....)

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

I guess if we keep doing this long enough, evolution will eventually make orthodontists extinct. (for the same reason that if we continue to cut our hair, eventually it will stop growing... it's already working a little bit on the top of my head....)

********************

Don't worry. Yourt body will compensate and grow more hair from your nose and ears.

DAMHIKT

Reply to
Lee Michaels

... snip

Nope, that puts you on the other side I'm afraid :-) Lefty is always doom an gloom, the sky is falling, woe is me/us, help me oh great god of government!

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Communist!!

Reply to
cselby

Republican.

Max

Reply to
Max

He's got a point, Rob. We do pay for medical care through our taxes. So, in effect, I helped to pay for your care and treatment.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reply to
Tanus

I'll add another piece to this.I have no intention of arguing which system is better, BTW. If, in reading this, you feel that you have to decry socialized medicine, feel free. I'm not going to debate you about it. Just a bit more information about the Canadian system.

10 years ago, SWMBO had a car accident. Rolled her vehicle into a ditch and hung upside down in her seatbelt till someone came along and she got carted off to the local hospital, and then on to a larger hospital once they determined she'd broken her neck.

Emergency, ambulance, Intensive care and follow-up for as long as she needed it was provided by the System. One of the things I'd like to see in this system is statement of accounts to see how much your care actually costs, but we don't get that. I don't know what the final tally was - likely in the order of $20,000. She paid $300 for her neck brace. She also pays daily with an injury that will never completely go away.

We make salaries that are supposedly taxed higher than our contemporaries in the US. In some ways that irks me, but if a good chunk of it goes to saving her life, I'm happy to spend that. I'm also happy that some of my health care dollars goes to improving the lives of seniors, cancer victims and a bunch of others who benefit from this system.

As Rob said, the majority of us here get the same care regardless of our position or status. (There are exceptions to that rule, but for the most part it's true)

Perfect? Far from it. It has holes you could drive a Mack truck through. But I prefer it to the alternative.

Reply to
Tanus

NoOne N Particular wrote in news:C%Nsj.7271$R84.6591 @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Please define 'good english'.

Reply to
Hank

Ouch!

Reply to
Jeff

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t55g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Harbor Freight does sell wheelchairs.

Reply to
Hank

...as well as the local medical supply house where I picked up a shiny new one for the MIL for $225.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn