OT: Misc. Ramblings.

Getting good help is tougher here than there, though. We're undereducated, overaggressive and by necessity, higher-paid. Not to mention the obvious, which is that there are a lot of people born and raised here who don't speak "Standard English."

Reply to
George

My tax bill is the same as anybody else in my income bracket.

Well actually, your tax bill is finally paying off, for you. Had you not had the procedure done, your tax bill would have been the same as anybody else in your income tax bracket where you live. If you have no choice in participation it is good that your body eventually craps out so that you can receive some of the benefits that you have been paying for all these years. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Drippy? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

you must mean 'speaks English well'.

:)

Reply to
charlie

Yup, just like any insurance. Those benefit from it, are the winners. The BIG difference is that here, we all have the same coverage... ALL of us. And that the bigger earners pay proportionally more than the lower income families... still the same coverage.

There might be ideological issues with socialized medicine, but I think it is wrong to live in a system where, through no fault of your own, a small tumor can take away the house you've worked for all your life. Communities used to band together to help out a sick person, usually through churches and their connections. There used to be a thing like a barn-raising too. God-fearing conservatives even admit that that isn't as common anymore.

All of those nay sayers about socialized medicine have no problem driving on socialized roads and bridges, or depending on socialized armies for protection. Double standard, I say.

You don't get to pick and chose what you want handled by central government and what not. The central government is here to rape your earnings for the ones who live in the castles. To be a conservo-fundy makes it so much easier to tolerate. When you do well, it is because you work hard or you screw your neighbour out of what should be his. When things don't go well, God has it in for you.... so you lose your house. When you speak out against the injustices of the world, you're a lefty.

What really irks the shit out of me, is that when people sit down, have a beer, and honestly talk about what it is they want, they would find very little difference between them. We all want the best for our families and our countries. The two-party rhetoric is nothing but a firewall designed to keep us apart and under control.

Having said that, you wear it like a yoke.

Robatoy

You commie ;-)

Reply to
Jeff

Now, was that nice? Huh?

A lot of those 'collective' ideas look good in fables and fairy tales. But I want to keep for what I have fought. I'm in no way willing to share with lazy bastards who suck on the teat of other peoples' incomes. To hell with that noise. But to give doctors free reign, so they can screw the people who have worked hard, ends up being nothing short of extortion. $ 5000.00 per day for a concrete-block box with a bed in it is just plain bullshit. The bulk of the 'surgeons' are just butchers with a permit to hack away at humans. $ 3000.00 for a VERY basic wheelchair is just plain bullshit too. WTF?? Titanium/composite prices for powder-coated thin-wall metal with plastic wheels? I think Harbor Freight ought to look into some of those. $ 80.00 for a box of Kleenex? Piss off already.

Just because I believe in free enterprise and trickle-down economics doesn't make me blind to the rip-off that we call health-care. You make the money you can from the people who want your services, but I don't think that sick people fit that category. They're patients, for chrissakes, not farking customers.

Don't get me started.

Reply to
Robatoy

Wet is good.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

I pay more than $1200/mo. for me and my college-age son and that's with $1000 deductible (each) and ZERO copay. Do you really think there's more than $14,000/yr. built into Robatoy's Canadian tax bill just to cover his universal health coverage? I would gladly ADD $7,500/yr. to my tax bill to get the health coverage Robby has.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Hey, I winked at you....

And, yes, trickle-down economics *does* work. The boss makes

*millions* of dollars more than me. (No exaggeration, I think he makes 8 million annually while I make almost 8 million less than that.) But every day he has to walk to his car. When he does, there's a chance he'll drop a dollar as he pulls his keys from his pockets. My co- workers and I fight for those. Last week I would have gotten a dollar if that dork in accounting didn't hit me from behind...
Reply to
Jeff

My problem with social health care and insurance is that both are literally the same. They both cost you a fortune. The middle man, insurance company makes the money or the middle man, the government wastes a majority of the money that they collect. Doctors have indicated that if there was no insurance involved in the health care that they could substantially lower your health care costs. I have heard examples of 80% savings. Once a patient figures that he has paid his required fee he goes crazy and abuses the system. In Houston there are several doctor owned health care groups that typically cost a family less than $100 per month for coverage. The patient pays for each and every service, however the services are in line with what the charges should be by cutting out the middle man. On one of the local health talk radio shows a doctor was giving examples of what uninsured, insured and members of his group pay for various treatments. One that stood out was the cost of orthopedic micro knee surgery. The regular uninsured patient pays about $25,000 for the hospital and the procedure. The patient that was a member of that group paid out of pocket $2700. I totally believe that if insurance was eliminated from the medical field that medical costs would go down drastically and would even be much lower than your social health care cost built into your taxes. If it is going to be strictly a patient and doctor relationship the costs by the health care giver would go down. Blame insurance and health care programs for driving up costs along with stupid awarded judgments against doctors.

"Robatoy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@37g2000hsl.googlegroups.com... On Feb 14, 9:17 am, "Leon" wrote:

[...]

Dark and strong?

Reply to
efgh

That is what I mean, but I intentionally ask for someone that speaks "good English" because there is a better chance that they will understand what I mean.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

What does that tell you? That premium is way too high because: They never pay out on the bulk of basic visitations, i.e. cuts , colds etc. (deductable) They also never pay out on big bad cases, because they won't insure people with problems. They have a cap on pay-out.

I know there are differences between Plans and all that, but the premiums are just nuts. I have 3 nieces and a nephew in Kansas and Missouri. friends all over the US... and the story is the same. The insurance companies are out of control. They deny people's claims because "it was an act of God" in the same court that won't allow prayer in school and won't allow schools to teach creationism...yet there seems to be a God when it is time to pay out insurance. It's true.. HE blew down that building, but don't you DARE talk to Him in school.

The people, who wear tinfoil hats of a different metal than most normal people, who proclaim that free enterprise is just that, capitalists who can screw you blind because you're either sick, or so scared that you're going to lose everything in case you get sick, are themselves sick in a different way. I believe in capitalism. totally. If some idiot wants to pay me 2 times what a used Audi is worth, cool! If I work 16 hour days, to make good money...good for me.

Health care, including basic dental care and vision care should be managed by people with full accountability to the public who pay their salaries. And those who deny claims from the veterans should be shot. If you have two artificial mechanical limbs...and one is a bit newer or better...give it to the vet. I don't think anybody should begrudge them that.

*off the soap box, off to work, after I eat.*

r---> which stands fro Robert. People call me Rob.. unless they're really close and dare to call me Robbie and I 'let' them.

Reply to
Robatoy

Not only that, but they all look . . .clean.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

LOL.. I saw that.. but I'm always a little awkward around guys that wink at me :)

Hey, you should be proud that he's doing well. If he didn't, you'd be out of a job.

Reply to
Robatoy

My brother-in-law is constantly in discussions with the insurance company. THEY want to dictate what's best for my sister (she had a fall broke her neck and is a quadriplegic now).... and here's something strange.. the bill to my BIL ,on one occasion, was $

160,000.00 The insurance company took it to the administration of the hospital and negotiated it down to $ 70,000.00. According my BIL, this happens all the time. How much luck would my BIL have had trying to do the same thing?
Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

.lower income families... still the same coverage.

I'm not sure I understand the logic that says that benefitting from insurance is a winner. My thinking is that *not* benefitting is a winner. My insurance exists as the comforting thought that if a disaster strikes I'm covered. Insurance = peace of mind. I hope I never have to collect.

Amen

Amen again

Another amen

Maybe he's a "yoker" heh heh.

Max

Reply to
Max

At the very least, preferably gooder than that.

Reply to
Joe

"Robatoy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@z17g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... On Feb 14, 12:35 pm, "Leon" wrote:

My brother-in-law is constantly in discussions with the insurance company. THEY want to dictate what's best for my sister (she had a fall broke her neck and is a quadriplegic now).... and here's something strange.. the bill to my BIL ,on one occasion, was $

160,000.00 The insurance company took it to the administration of the hospital and negotiated it down to $ 70,000.00. According my BIL, this happens all the time. How much luck would my BIL have had trying to do the same thing?

I think you see where I am coming from now. The hospital probably could have come down much farther had they not had to haggle with the insurance company. Take the middle man out of the equation and the medical field does not have to mark every thing up 5 times more than necessary. But, with insurance companies and government programs the medical industry has to give discounts, do massive write offs because the "I" did not get dotted in the allocated time, they have to employ expensive staff that is smart enough to get the bills paid, add mal practice insurance and so on. Those with no insurance get caught with holding the tab "IF" they can afford the procedures because of the deep discounts that the government and insurance dictate and because of the cost of dealing with both of those agencies. In your BIL case, if the actual cost of only the medical care is considered you get the big discount or more than what was negotiated. Your BIL would have no luck in negotiating it down but the massive insurance company has plenty of pull. Think of the insurance company and government health care system as a form of Labor Union, not nearly as cost effective as not having either at all. If medical care was negotiated between the health care provider and each and every patient the cost would come down or they would be out of business. No one could afford health care that is 5 to 10 times more expensive than it needs to be. Cut out government regulated waste and insurance companies and the health care system would lower its prices and actually become competitive.

Reply to
Leon