OT: Looking for backup ISP

NO, my total phone bill INCLUDING DSL is < 40.

"cost of my cable + VoIP only slightly higher than my POTS "

That was my point about different markets. The prices of these services vary widely throughout the US.

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

Darn newbies are everywhere! I started 50 years ago :-).

Of course, I had the good sense to retire 10 years ago when my clients started requesing I put SCADA systems on Windoze :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On 4/10/2006 10:22 AM Gooey TARBALLS mumbled something about the following:

You still don't know how to snip a proper sig? When are you going to get a PROPER newsreader?

You're $40 gives you Free LD? VoiceMail? Call Waiting, Call Forwarding?

Does your DSL give you 3MB down and 768k up?

Or do you have bare basic DSL and POTS?

Reply to
Odinn

Damn, did you work on ENIAC?

Reply to
Odinn

Nope - just Univac, Readix, Ramac, etc.. My favorite was the GE400 series that came out in the mid 60s. I even wrote a DOS for that one, with about as much functionality as MSDOS :-).

I started with punched cards in '55 and started programming on the Readix in '57. Take a look at:

Larry Blanchard

I never played with any iron that old, the oldest I ever developed on was Harris H300/H800, Honeywell DPS-6, and Wang VS-100s. Wrote a lot of terminal emulators and file transfer protocols in the mid-late 80's for DOS and Windows, but I've always been a UNIX geek. In the mid 90's I was part owner (and CTO) of an ISP. Nowdays, I do admin for several hundred Windows, HP-UX, AIX and Linux servers.

Reply to
Odinn