OT: Light bulb

Thanks. So that's where it came from.

-- That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way. -- Doris Lessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What's the difference between a JAP and a bowl of Jell-O? Jell-O moves when you eat it./

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

------------------------------- The voice of experience?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Q: The difference between a JAP and a bowling ball?

A: If you absolutely had to, you could eat a bowling ball.

Reply to
Robatoy

Conversely...

Q: What's the difference between a JAP and poverty? A: Poverty sucks!

Reply to
HeyBub

I once was at a JAP friend's house for dinner. A dozen of us LoCalers gathered for Thai dinners often, but she wanted us to come over for Thanksgiving. Strangely, she didn't invite me over again after I gently opined that the Gefilte fish tasted like a fishy version of SPAM.

Dayum, I wish I could still handle those #10 heat Thai dinners. I miss the massive facial sweating from a nice, fresh hot pepper. One of the places, Thai, had a dual pepper heat chart. 1-10 for the American side, then on top of that 1-20 on the Thai side. The hottest Thai pepper made Scotch Bonnets (Habañero) feel like ice cream. I had a numb tongue for a week after a wee taste only once. (It might have been a divot in the tongue instead of numbness. That stuff is worse than nitric acid.)

-- That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way. -- Doris Lessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Got to love that gefilte fish...blech, puke, retch. Not for me. I did get introduced to lots of good jewish/yiddish food by two of my business partners, back in the 80's. Sunday morning, Pickle Barrel in Toronto. Tried it all, loved most. I'm still totally addicted to Moe Panzer's Montreal Smoked meat sammiches on rye.

I was 'educated' in no uncertain terms about Thai food by my oldest daughter. After one trip to Thailand, she took me for authentic Thai food in Toronto...not that commercial crap passed off as Thai. Got to love that.

The heat thing is okay, but if the heat takes away the joy of eating, I'll pass. I was practically raised on Indonesian food, so 'heat' wasn't anything I though about until some of drinking buddies got into the Volcano/Suicide Buffalo wings. You keep that shit. WTF is the fun there? Too hot, greasy, overpriced, tasteless. What is the point? Typical drunk food.. like eel pie.

Now some Szechuan chili paste on their types of dishes I can handle. Hot, sure, but tasty too. ... and there's always a jar of Sambal Oelek nearby our dinner table.

Back to JAP humour:

One of my favourite jewish lines(joke) is: Mother: "Sammy, do up your coat. You mother is getting cold."

Reply to
Robatoy

You can find any pepper you want

Markem

Don't fret. We all read (and write) typo fluently here.

Turst me.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

family of plants (tomatoes, potatoes, chilis, peppers, eggplant) and have mostly given them up. Key phrase: wish I could still handle 'em.

After 25 years, I found that I can now tolerate potatoes and eggplant once more, but peppers and tomatoes really kill me. If I ate a whole one of either, I'd feel like a 90 y/o man the next day, barely able to get out of my bed. Joints and muscles would be chock full of lactic acid and I wouldn't want to move. So, I mostly avoid them. But thanks for the sourcing. Someone else might benefit from the link.

-- The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings. -- Okakura Kakuzo

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just Wondering

the entire spectrum of variations.