OT: Imaged my First Deep Sky Object

Galaxy. Wahhoooo!

13 X 10 seconds

SC 9.25"

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Ok - what setup did you use.

Scope type Scope diameter Scope focal length

Camera type

I have Celestron

8" 2000mm

Nikon F on the focal plane.

How about you.

Mart>

> Andromeda Galaxy. Wahhoooo!

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I use a ~6 oz 12 yr old Scotch, 3-4 12 oz Heinekin's, 2 fatties of old-fashioned Maui Wowie, and Revel's Bolero.

Focal length varies considerably, apparently. And the stars and stuff spin a lot. But I see lotsa' stuff like that. Well, kinda'.

-TES

Reply to
Theodore Edward Stosterone

Celestron Schmidt Casegrain 9.25"

9.25"

2350mm

Canon Digital Rebel XT

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

As this stuff seems to intrigue you (as it does me), I figured I would post these again. You're likely to have these already, but here goes:

Do open them in order for the full effect.

Robatoy

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Robatoy wrote in news:48b2383f-95f3-4f99-901f- snipped-for-privacy@y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

I forwarded these to my daughter the high school physics teacher and her kids. I hope that was OK ..

Reply to
Han

I stole them somewhere myself... I was awestruck by the fact that relative to the earth, we are specks of dirt. Relative to the Big Guys like Antares, we, as humans, are sub-atomic. Then add the fact that there are billions+ of those Big Guys in the Universe and all you can really do, is scratch your head.... The ORBIT of Mars has a diameter of 454million km. The diameter of Antares is 600 million km. . . . Why am I suddenly hearing Carl Sagan's voice?

Reply to
Robatoy

-

What would really make these solar system models fun is to line them up with scale distances... a good school project, but involves the use of some driving and a country road.

If the Earth was ONE HALF INCH in diameter, the Moon would be one eighth of an inch in diameter 15 inches away.

The Sun would be Four and a half feet across, and the sizes and distances of the planets from the Sun would be as follows:

Mercury : one eighth inch, 200 feet away Venus: one half inch, 350 feet away Earth: one half inch, 500 feet away Mars: one quarter inch, 760 feet away Jupiter: five and a half inches, 2,600 feet away Saturn: four and a half inches, 4,770 feet away Uranus: one and nine tenths inches, 9,600 feet away Neptune: one and nine tenths inches, 15,050 feet away Pluto: less than one eighth inch, 19,750 feet away

And at this scale, the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, would be 27,000 miles away.

It would be even harder to include the Andromeda Galaxy, which as our Galaxy's nearest large neighbor is two and a half million light years away... That means that light, traveling 186,000 miles per second, takes two and a half million years to get here.

I love this stuff... :) Marty

Reply to
Marty

1f-

Which means that if the Andromeda Galaxy blew up 2 million years ago, we wouldn't know about it till 500,000 years from now.

Ohhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply to
Robatoy

1f-

BTW, I'm strictly a visual observer. I got my Celestron 8 in 1977.

Here we are in 1984, waiting for Halley's Comet...

here we are in 2007 celebrating our 30th anniversary...
Marty

Reply to
Marty

I always wanted a 11 on a stand in a private lot observatory shell...

Someday when I'm to old to tote maybe.

Mart> >> Ok - what setup did you use.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Shoot, I screwed up my second URL... As long as I'm on this thing, here they are again..

Here we are in 1984, waiting for Halley's Comet...

here we are in 2007 celebrating our 30th anniversary...
Marty

Reply to
Marty

Same coat!?! Nice.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I got mine a while before Halley's and was geared up when it came. I got some great shots of Saturn during those years. I was in Austin, Tx.

The bad news is I keep moving into heavy fog and cloud areas. Kills a hobby. I used to look through heavy moisture in Austin and it was interesting. The water was floating in lenses high in the air. I could see between them and when they floated into view a portion would magnify!

Sometimes all was good looking through them and then it was to much.

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Marty

Yup, same coat. I patched the holes over during a power failure this last winter. I tend to get stuck on old stuff... =20 Marty

Reply to
Marty

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Marty

Same coat!?! Nice. Yup, same coat. I patched the holes during a power failure this last winter. Looks better now... =20 Marty

Reply to
Marty

Mucho respect! I still miss the bomber jacket I had in college.

Reply to
-MIKE-

do that??

:)