OT Humor: Understanding the Midwest

A Message from the Rural Midwest:

Because of misunderstandings that frequently develop when Easterners and Californians cross states such as Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota, those states' Tourism Councils have adopted a set of information guidelines. In an effort to help outsiders understand the Midwest, the following list will be handed to each driver entering the state:

  1. That farm boy standing next to the feed bin did more work before breakfast than you do all week at the gym.

  1. It's called a 'gravel road.' No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get dust on your Navigator. I have a four wheel drive because I need it ... not just to keep up with the neighbors.

  2. We all started hunting and fishing when we were seven years old. Yeah, we saw Bambi. We got over it.

  1. Any references to "corn fed" when talking about our women will get you whipped ... by our women.

  2. Go ahead and bring your 0 Orvis Fly Rod. Don't cry to us if a flathead catfish breaks it off at the handle. We have a name for those little trout you fish for -- bait.

  1. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.

  2. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards are making their final approach, we will shoot it. You might hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.

  1. That's right. Whiskey is only two bucks. We can buy a fifth for what you pay for one drink at the airport.

  2. No, there's no "Vegetarian Special" on the menu. Order steak. Order it rare. Or, you can order the Chef' Salad and pick off the two pounds of ham and turkey.

  1. You bring Coke into my house, it better be brown, wet, and served over ice!

  2. So you have a sixty-thousand dollar car you drive on weekends. We're real impressed. We have quarter of a million dollar combines that we use two weeks a year.

  1. Let's get this straight. We have one stoplight in town. We stop when it's red. We may even stop when it's yellow.

  2. Our women hunt, fish, and drive pickups, trucks and tractors because they want to. So, you're a feminist. Isn't that cute.

  1. Yeah, we eat catfish. Carp, too -- and turtle. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the bait shop.

  2. They are pigs. That's what they smell like. Get over it. Don'tlike it? Interstates 70, 80, & 90 go East & West; Interstates 29,
35 &55 go North & South. Pick one and use it accordingly.

  1. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season. It's a religious holiday. You can get breakfast at the church.

  2. So every person in every pickup waves. It's called being friendly. Understand the concept?

  1. Yeah, we have golf courses. Don't hit in the water hazard. It spooks the fish.

  2. That Highway Patrol Officer who just pulled you over for driving like an idiot ... his name is "Sir"... no matter how old he is.

Now please, enjoy your visit. Just don't overdo your stay, we have corn to plant

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Bob

Dunno so much about the Californians, but you can certainly drop the Easteners. Your instructions for them are N/A. There is no "midwest". It is a proven fact that the world ends 100 miles west of the Atlantic ocean. Dragons lurk 80 miles west but the few brave ones that venture beyond that simply fall off the earth...proven fact!!! Was on TV!!!

That explains why they hug the coast and have created what I refer to as "the septic tank effect". They filled up the east coast of Florida and then proceeded to fill up S Carolina and are working on N Carolina as we speak. Pretty soon they'll be back to the top where they came from but doubt they'll ever figure out that the thing has to be cleaned from time to time. Their solution is to let it go to hell and then hire a lawyer to sue somebody.

So please get your facts right.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Tom, you're wrong about them letting it go to hell. They do it themselves. The first thing they do once they move to a new state is to start lobbying to have things changed to the way it was in the state they just left.

Reply to
KS

I live in CT, 25 miles from Long Island Sound and 50 miles from the Atlantic Ocean (Long Giland for you New Jersey residents), and know Chicagoans that think of themselves as "Easterners".

Chicago is a 1 1/2 hour commercial flight from here!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Small correction here...

Pull you pants up. You look like you waited too long to go to the bathroom.

Reply to
Leon

hell, I consider anyone east of the continental divide to be an easterner....

Reply to
bridger

That'd be the Cascades...

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

That's the definition I use :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

SNIP > >

To Californians, anything East of Arizona is back East! Isn't Florida just a humid extension of Texas? Although I have been to NY, Washington DC, and most other East coast states, I can not fathom why anyone would choose to live there! This includes beautiful downtown Detroit.

Snow?? I like to look at it on the mountains but actually live IN IT???

Dave

TeamCasa

That's fair. I consider anyone living west of the divide to be a Californian.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

California...went there in '72, February, right after that year's big earth shaking. Have felt no need whatsoever to return. Been back to the cost several times, but stay well north.

Charlie Self "The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas

Reply to
Charlie Self

Now I feel homesick again. A friend of mine from ND kept trying to tell me that I lived in the Mideast, not the Midwest. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Passed through in the early '60s heading further west at the government's request and expense. Didn't leave anything in either place I want to go back for.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Yeah. I passed through in the '50s and '60s, back in '60 for some schooling, all at GI expense, even got to camp out at Camp Pendleton for a bit over a month and Santa Ana for about the same. I really don't miss it.

Charlie Self "The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas

Reply to
Charlie Self

From a message about points to ponder:

13) "I think that's how Chicago got started. A bunch of people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's go west.'" --Richard Jeni
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

The standing joke when I lived in Minnesota was that "Minnesota was as far as the Norwegians got before the cold made 'em forget why they left Norway."

Probably same kind of deal for Chicago, New York, and poverty...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

ROFLMAO!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I especially like being able to smoke in church.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Smoke what?

(hell, it was just a question.)

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet)

Tom Watson

Q. Do you smoke after sex? A. I don't know, I never looked.

Reply to
Bob Schmall