OT: How we Canadians know you're an American.

Nothing heavy, kinda fun... and HAPPY CANADA DAY YOU HOSERS!!!!!

Robatoy

Gordon Shumway

Reply to
dadiOH

"dadiOH" wrote in news:iuhkvr$5o2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Indeed dadioh, the link goes to a series of photos of Canadian sort of things. Or was that the purpose, Rob?

Reply to
Han

The pictures have text below them. Do we have to explain everything to Americans??

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:whateveryoulike- snipped-for-privacy@news60.forteinc.com:

Sorry, was kennelijk meisjesdom

Reply to
Han

I was pointing out how to know someone is Canadian :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I like the one that voids it all, the picture and the caption that we in the USA call our selves Americans and the whole article of pictures states How Canadians know you'er an American.

DOH! We know we are Americans and so do the Canadians.

Reply to
Leon

It deal with the fact that you guys say you're from America... well, so are we. Except, you're from The States and we're Canadian. A difference as subtle as the 'b' in 'subtle.

Reply to
Robatoy

=================

The main difference between Canuckies and Americans is

"Eh?" and "Huh"?

It took me some time to get comfortable to the response to "Thank you" with "Uh, huh", instead of the old "You're welcome."

It always sounded a little snarky and inconsiderate at first. Now I notice Canadians starting to do it too.

Reply to
Eric

Gordon Shumway wrote the following:

They say 'out' and 'about' funny. To us, it sounds like 'oat' and 'a boat'

Reply to
willshak

No they don't. That's an urban legend.

I have many American friends who sound a whole lot funnier than we do. Ya'll.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

--------------- Reminds me of that old classic line that Jimmie Carter used at the end of his campaign speeches (in the South) when he was running for president. He would say, "Wouldn't it be nice to elect someone to the white house who did not speak with an accent?"

We all talk different from each other. And outsiders do sound and look funny.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

When I called Leigh jigs a couple of days ago the girl who helped me on the phone had the most delightful Canadian accent, almost Minnesooooatan. I fell in love, sight unseen!

When I complimented her on it, she said I was aboot to say the same aboot you!

:)

My favorite accent of all is a Scots ... not surprising, one of my favorite authors has always been Sir Walter, especially when he writes in dialect.

Reply to
Swingman

Robatoy wrote the following:

I watch 'Holmes on Homes". It's no legend to me

Reply to
willshak

Robatoy wrote the following:

I watch 'Holmes on Homes". It's no legend to me

----------------

It's a little rough on the shingles of an American rough, always get me, even as an American resident.

Then there is the rut of a tree????

Reply to
Eric

Two peoples, separated by a common language......or something like that...

Reply to
Robatoy

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:11:16 -0600, Robatoy wrote (in article ):

Don't forget:

"Y'all" is singular. "Y'alls" is plural. "Y'alls all" is plural possessive.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I have lots of relatives in Iowa and "Wiscanson" (mostly farmers) and every time I talk to them I just want to take a trip! I love they way they talk. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Bruce wrote the following:

You forgot "All Y'all" plural.