OT - Home Depot Steps Up Security - Again

First they took out the self-checkout stations. Too much theft.

Then they locked up more and more products, e.g. Romex, leaf blowers, etc. Not only locked stuff up, but they carry it to the cashier for you. Too much theft.

Tonight, I saw this in their parking lot. Gee, I wonder what the reason is.

Solar powered, multiple cameras, flashing blue lights on the trailer.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wonder how much of that theft is going out the backdoor?

Reply to
Markem618

Serves them right.

Reply to
Leon

Not around here (sunny california). They have six self-checkout stations and one staffed checkout.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yes we still have the self check outs.... I am not a fan. I am very reluctant to buy anything that does not have a bar code on it. Nuts, bolts, washers, etc.

I am not sure how they did not see increased theft was the next phase of putting in the self check outs. And saving money on cashiers? There are two cashiers standing around for 6 self check outs. They help customers with the nuts, bolts, and washers. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Here they have self-check-out counters - STAFFED.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The self-checkout at the Home Depot near me has been "staffed" for a while now. I like this as I don't have to go very far for help with the machine! I suspected that when self-checkout first became available, in general, that the incentive to "cheat the system" was just too great (and I don't even have a criminal mind...). $21.99 for a pound of beef??? Swap the label, and use your "savings" for lottery tickets instead... ha. As many here know, once upon a time being a grocery store "Cashier" was a good and respectable job. The job of monitoring people doing self-checkout probably not so much.

Reply to
Bill

Have you been to every HD in "sunny California"?

The one closest to my house is the one I described. The one closest to my office still has self checkout, but the Romex is locked up. No cameras in the parking lot yet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

you forgot to mention there is no one to help you if something you want is locked up. At least in the store I visited this morning

Reply to
knuttle

Beef is cheaper at the grocery store. ;~) Our HD does not sell beef.

Reply to
Leon

Now that's a rather silly question. Where did I represent that I had visited every HD in "sunny california"?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"Not around here (sunny california)"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's your interpretation. As it happens, your original statement could have applied to _all_ HD's worldwide; it certainly wasn't qualified with "at my home depot".

And I do use a half dozen of the 12 home depots within a 30 mile radius.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Now that’s a rather silly interpretation.

I don’t have my own Home Depot. Don’t even own stock.

Sounds like a rather crowded place to live. No thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actually, I live in the country, a full hectare. A 50 mile-long beach is a half hour away (and I cross a mountain range and pass a HD to get there). Redwood groves 10 minutes away with excellent trails. Yosemite is a three hour drive. Carmel less than an hour.

Sunny cloudless warm and dry days from May through November. No Snow.

Mountains on all sides, cattle ranches, and wineries (more than a dozen) with tasting rooms (two of which are within walking distance).

I lived in the upper midwest for 20 years, I'll take California; even the six years in Pasadena were enjoyable, except for the smog (which was really bad through the 1980s, but is much, much better since the mid 90s thanks to emissions regulations and modern catalytic converters even as the popluation significantly grew).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I despise self check-out. Lowes is still pushing that angle... sometimes, the only actual cashier is at the "pro" desk, and the line is usually long.

I've noticed that Romex has been locked up for a while, with blinking cameras in the aisles. The price of it is through the roof. I'm glad I bought a 250 ft roll of 12/2 a couple of years ago. It's over half-way spent, so hopefully the price is down some next time I need one.

Reply to
Michael Trew