OT Happy Easter

We certainly don't here in Canada.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

That seems to be one of your favorite posts, Tim. Tell me how "I don't know" rests on an unproven belief :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Nobody can prevent you from believing whatever you wish. Mind reading as a practical tool of oppression simply does not exist.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I had a customer tell me once: "I don't care what people 'believe.' I don't even want to hear it. As far as I'm concerned, people don't have a right to believe shit. I'm only interested in what a person can PROVE! By prove, I mean present evidence sufficient on its face to compel a rational mind of the virtual certainty of the proposition supported by the evidence."

He went on: "For example, I'm agnostic on UFOs. But until someone can put a piece of one in my hand, I'm not interested in hearing about them and what they may or may not be. A corollary to that position is someone's claim of abduction and anal probing is NOT compelling evidence."

So I asked him: "You're a religious man, what's the compelling proof of God?" "Easy," he said. "One hundred thousand eyeball witnesses at Sinai (not counting slaves, women, and children) and an unbroken tradition re-telling the story. And before you say that's all hearsay, that process is as reliable as the reporting in the New York Times... shit! Never mind."

Reply to
HeyBub

Sawdust is waste.

Our new president has vowed to eliminate waste.

All building in the future will be with pre-formed and pre-sized Legos.

No more waste. It's for the children.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I understand.

Seems there is always a screw-up that shows up at almost every function.

Hope you feel differently next Easter.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Don't try and drag me into your finger-in-the-eyes festival, Bubbie. I was merely responding to:

... in the (possibly forlorn) hope that someday, someone, somewhere, will see them and rethink their addisction to an unproven belief

*All* beliefs are "unproven" including (especially) that the sense-reason process is reliable, correct, complete, and sufficient. There is no particular reason to trust the human rational process moreso than the human metaphysical curiosity ... unless, of course, you're satisfied with an explanation of human existence that is entirely mechanical, lacks any teleology, and cannot distinguish between microbes and humans. I ain't pickin' sides in this fight (it's pointless), but you're kidding yourself if you think the folks of faith are somehow down the intelligence scale from the post-modern "thinkers" that have polluted intellectual pursuits for the past 75+ years.
Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Naw. Go listen to the Handel "Messiah" to remind you about how transcendent the season can be. Ignore the grumps. Their reward is their own personalities.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

I should have said "Most of the people in the world do not have an UNMOLESTED right..." One can believe whatever one wishes while the authorities have the will and the ability to punish that belief.

Thanks for helping clear that up.

Reply to
HeyBub

The "authorities" have no way of knowing what one believes unless one acts on that belief or makes them aware of it in some other way.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Then there's torture...

Reply to
HeyBub

If you're being tortured it doesn't matter what you believe, only what they want to hear.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Can't say I disagree with him there, but it begs the question of the reliability of the NYT

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Nope... pretty much sums it up IMO.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

+1
Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Read the Bible with an open mind and you realize that it's journalistic reportage, and like all journalistic reportage, it varies widely in both accuracy and artistic merit.

Newspapers these days are their own worst enemy--they don't seem to be doing much better on accuracy than your run of the mill blogger.

Reply to
J. Clarke

There's a simple test for religious fealty. The authorities simply ask that you grievously insult the unapproved religion to which they suspect you adhere. If you willingly blaspheme a particular faith, well, then you can't really believe in it, can you?

Reply to
HeyBub

Of course you can. It's called "lying".

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's called lying to save your own skin....

Reply to
JC