OT: engineering lingo

Zz Yzx

Baffle them with bull shit.

Lew

Who is accepting orders that are accompanied with suitable non refundable deposit and non specified future delivery.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Slow dialup so insufficient bandwidth...

But, thanks... :)

I thought about it some but knew Robotoy has fair amount of utility background and also figured if anybody else cared they could always ask... :)

Let's see, what terms that aren't at least fairly widely used did I throw in there??? One that comes to me that is likely a stretch is

DNBR -- Departure from Nucleate Boiling Ratio. It's the ratio of the local heat flux over the critical heat flux at which boiling on the surface of the fuel pin switches from local to film regime. "Nucleate" boiling is that type you've seen in a pan on the stove when it first starts with those individual steam bubbles that are released. If continue to heat the surface it will switch over to a general boiling at which point the effective heat transfer coefficient drops dramatically owing to the steam film between the surface and the liquid. This has to be avoided in a PWR (pressurized water reactor) to prevent fuel pin cladding failure so it's a limiting design criterion on the operational power density. BWRs (boiling water) reactors operate at about half the pressure (roughly 1000 psi as opposed to 2200 psi) and allow for bulk boiling and more area by many more but smaller diameter fuel pins. The lower pressure means a lower boiling point temperature and in combination w/ the added surface area the cladding is also ok.

Now that have undoubtedly bored completely I'll retreat... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I wasn't griping, just thought it was fun

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

You haven't touched on the surface treatment of zirconium fuel bundles and its effect on filming... in D2O.

My utility background is Protection & Control and spent 3 years creating a 3D acoustic model of one of the units at the RL Hearn GS in Toronto. That work brought me to the National Research Council in Ottawa where I spun off into researching psychoacoustics. That work became the basis for creating a line of loudspeakers, which in turn got me involved with mass-production of wooden boxes, tossing in a few kitchen cabinets during slow times, and presto..tadaaa... BTW, solid surface makes a wonderful speaker box.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote: ...

Chuckle...

And from a guy that thinks thick-wall tubing for supercritical steam is "too costly" to be practical... My utility background is Protection & Control and spent 3 years

I started in core design at B&W at time of physics model qualification for NRC licensing, moving to internal R&D organization for primarily incore instrumentation and related "statistical core design" stuff. After McDermott bought B&W R&D didn't look promising so ended up in Oak Ridge w/ new consulting office of mostly ex-B&W folks. Evolved towards I&C stuff for the fossil utilities as nuclear work got to be leaner, finally spending last years mostly through EPRI at the I&C Center (now disbanded) located at TVA Kingston (TN) Fossil. Much variety along the way including a stint of robotics for Remotec, the online coal/sulfur analyzers and last major project was flow sensor for pulverized coal using ultrasound via high-frequency accelerometer and advanced nonlinear signal processing. Then, just when was getting really tired of the one-man, one-shop gig, Dad had unexpected heart attack and Mom a stroke at the same time and so here am back on the family farm 40 yrs later. That's been 10 years now...

--

Reply to
dpb