OT: Dandelions Love Rocks?

I put down the Weed'n'Feed a couple a weeks ago and the dandelions are very much in remission. Now I'm going around and grabbing the broadleaf cluster and pulling out the root with the help of a weeding tool. It seems like more often than not when I put the tool down next to the root it hits a rock just below the surface. Just thought I'd let you know. Further bulletins as events warrant.

JP

************************** Derocking.
Reply to
Jay Pique

My weeding tool is a $! stainless knife from the dollar store. As long as the rock isn't too big it hasn't been a problem. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Spray some RoundUp on a paper towel or cotton gloves and wipe the individual leaves on the broad leaf weeds. This puts the product on what you want to kill and not the grass.

Reply to
Leon

A small cup of roundup and application with a small paint brush works well too.

Reply to
fredfighter

Dandelions don't like rocks, rocks like tools. The bigger and deeper the tool wants to go the larger the rocks it will attract.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

It seems like more often than not when I put the tool down next

Jeez. Get some broadleaf weed killer (they contain 2-4-D), spray the suckers with the diluted product (see product label) and they're dead in a day. Doesn't harm turf grasses. Roundup or other glycocates do and aren't as effective on broadleaf weeds. Ortho's Weed-Be-Gone is the one I use, in an old spray bottle that once contained Windex, but there are many other broadleaf weed killers out there. For massive invasions, a pump up sprayer or hose end spayer is best, just don't let overspray drift onto trees or shrubs - they can be injured or killed.

Reply to
Tom Banes

Seems your observation went above most of the respondents...

I too have noticed the very same - dandelions and rocks just have this thing for each other. They also seem to like cracks in concrete sidewalks and curbing.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Probably an evolutionary defensive move developed by the plant to ensure its' survival. Around here, this year, I've found that the dandelions now have the ability to duck when approached by a whirling mower blade. Or at the least, they can completely grow back to a foot or more high within 24 hours.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G