OT - Damn Kids

Yes, yes, I know our children are the light of our lives. That's when they aren't being the bane of our existance. I have two, one just turned 28, and one who will soon turn 24.

Awhile back, the younger son buys a Buick. A running, 1952 Buick, good body, needs an interior, needs a bit of floor work, some trim missing. Not sure how much he paid, but not a lot; no where near $1000, that I know. Very restorable. With a good title.

A few days ago, he comes home with a Buick. A running 1952 Buick. No title this time, but good body, has all the pieces the other is missing. Paid $350 for this one. He probably could get a title, but it'd take time, and hassle; instead, he intends to just mine it for parts for the other one, which is a fancier model, and in about the same shape. I think he may intend to sell the body after. Oh yeah, both of them have straight 8s. The other engine runs good, but this one runs great.

Today he comes home with a 1991, V6 Astro, former work van. Needs a battery, driver seat torn up a bit, and something is wrong with the trans, but it is driveable, runs great, body excellent, decent tires. Comes with a title. Cost? Nothing. He can get a rebuilt trans in for about $300.

Sometime back, he came home with a 1980 Pontiac station wagon, including a good title. Runs fine, but needs trans work. Body is great, interior is great. Cost? Zip.

I can't get the older one to spend 4 hours working on my Luv, so I can get it on the road.

Damn kids.

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:9294-410B06CE-521@storefull-

3153.bay.webtv.net:

So is this recycling operation set up at your place, at his place, or are they the same place? 'cause when my oldest did this a couple of years ago, I gave two of them away for next to nothing, when he went away to college out of state, and left parts all over my workshop...

I love 'em, but tonight, I feel just a bit of your pain.

So, could the young 'un get the LUV running? Alternatively, how do you feel about Buicks from the early fifties?

Patriarch, whose fleet is thankfully down to three...

Reply to
patriarch

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:9294-410B06CE-521@storefull-

3153.bay.webtv.net:

Sounds like a cat I had used to bring home carcasses of small mammals.

Fortunately the kids only brought home stray friends. Which was bad enough.

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Sat, Jul 31, 2004, 5:49am (EDT+4) patriarch (patriarch= snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet) ponders: So is this recycling operation set up at your place, at his place, or are they the same place?

Here. He actually had moved out. Then got laid off. And moved back in.

A couple of days before the Buick got here, he got rid of a 1980 Olds wagon, no engine or trans. Along with one of my parts cars, 1980 turbo Buick Riviera. Which leave me with 7 (seven) vehicles with no tage (only 2 (two) of which are mine, and 3 (three) licensed vehicles, now living here, not counting the Astro, which is still on the rollback. Plus, the other Buick, which is at my older son's place, along with a

1976 Blazer that's about ready for the road. I'm not sure if he has anything else anywhere or not. Oh yeah, he got rid of a nice little Nissan 4X4, with a blown fron differential, and had the engine pulled to go in his 2X4 Datsun pickup.

So, could the young 'un get the LUV running?

Yep, no prob. So could the older one, if he'd just do it. I figure 2 people, would take about 4 hours - probably less. One person, I figure maybe a day - max. The kid had me move it to his place a lonnnng time ago, so he "could work on it". HA! If he'd do 5 minutes worth of work at a time, it could have been done long ago. Not that much to do, hook up some wires, drop in the distributer, hook up some hoses, replace the driveshaft, that's about it. I think he wants me to give it to him. HA! He's already been told, I'll srap it first. They did finally put the engine in it. A nice crate engine 350 Chevy. Hehehe Just the thing for hauling ash. I've offered to spring for a cookout, if he'll just invite a few buddies over to help him work on it. Nope, it's": Too hot, too cold, too wet, groud's too hard, it's a nice day so I'm going to the lake, ad nauseum. Any excuse is good enough when you don't want to do something.

I'd do it myself, but with my joints, it'd about kill me.

Alternatively, how do you feel about Buicks from the early fifties?

Cool. But, early '50s Chevys witj 302 inline GMC engines are even cooler.

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Because he brought the van home on a rollback, I forgot the 1991 Saab he got for $150, which runs perfectly, great body, only could use a paint job, and is now licensed and on the road. He alternates driving that with his 2X4 Datsun truck, with the hot engine out of the 4X4 Nissan pickup he got rid of. I've driven the Datsun a few time, he stuck a 5-speed in it, in place of the 4-speed, and with that engine, it's a hoot to drive.

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

I would not care what the kids brought home, as long as the "home" belongs to them. If he is staying with you give him by the end of the month to move out. If not, you are "enabling" him.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:41:18 -0600, J T wrote (in article ):

Sounds like you have landscaping!

-Bruce (w/52 F1 truck and 70 Mach 1 up on blocks...)

Reply to
Bruce

Sat, Jul 31, 2004, 11:07am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@noone.com (Phisherman), who seemingly does not have kids, says: I would not care what the kids brought home, as long as the "home" belongs to them. =A0 If he is staying with you give him by the end of the month to move out. If not, you are "enabling" him.

ROTFLMAO

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

I detect a Country western song here.

Reply to
Jana

that buick would prolly make a decent pickup truck. they made the frames pretty strong back then.... just sawzall off the trunk lid and the roof behind the driver's seat and pitch the back seats....

Reply to
bridger

So all these cars are in the front yard?

You might be a redneck if....

hehe Rich

Reply to
Rich

J T wrote: [snip]

Way cool. Had a '50 Chevvy with that engine. Two bbl carb. Wing nuts on the case of the stocker tranny. Them was the days. sigh, jo4hn

"The weed of crime bears a bitter fruit." -L. Cranston

Reply to
jo4hn

Sat, Jul 31, 2004, 4:30pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@cfl.rr.com (Rich) ponders: So all these cars are in the front yard? You might be a redneck if....

There ain't a one on blocks, and besides, I'm a good ole boy, not a redneck.

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Wanna sell that 70 Mach 1?

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:52:33 -0600, Mark Hopkins wrote (in article ):

It's just the body (near perfect!) w/doors and hood. I sold all the bits 'n' pieces on ebay 8^)

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Its nice to see someone make the distinction between "red-neck" and "good ole boy". When I was coming up redneck was derogatory, good ole boy was a compliment. However it is a fine line between two.

Our example was that a redneck would just toss his empty beer can out the truck window while a good ole boy would open the sliding rear window in the pickup and toss the empty back into the truck bed.......Two totally different mindsets.....

John

Reply to
John Beckman

Got a photo? I could use a basket case to start from. I have an engine and tranny...

Reply to
Mark Hopkins