OT - Damn ...

... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I can go looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing but sunshine!

CNN ... you dumbasses!

Reply to
Swingman

Brent Beal

1.5" what a wimp of a storm.

And, I loaded up my shop, last night, with all of the things from the yard that could have flown about. Tonight I have to undo all of that effort.

I was hoping to get some actual shop time to work on the cabinets for the shop. First things first. :(

Reply to
Scott Zrubek

I have finally come up with a "term" for the condition that the weather celebrities have. When little boys and girls discover what each other have, the little girls are some times fascinated with the "extra's" that the little boys have. IIRC it is called Peni_ Envy.

Weather celebrities have Hurricane Envy and in Houston the Weather Celebrities are terminal with it. When I lived 200 miles south west in Corpus Christi we had 3 "Major" hurricanes in a 10 year period. Houston has had 2 hurricanes, but not as strong, in the last 50+ years. To put the local hurricane weather coverage in perspective, imagine 8 1/2 straight hours of coverage of the first 2" snow for the season in Buffalo, NY.

Reply to
Leon

You need to spend some time in SoCal.

The weather jockies have at least 100 different ways to say that it will be 70F and the sun will shine, unless you are in the desert, then it's 100F.

And you get an update every 15 minutes.

Talk about filling time.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Is that an invite Lew? '~)

Reply to
Leon

"Lee Michaels" wrote

There ya go ... in a nutshell.

... which, depending upon the wind chill factor, may be more, or less, sensational than your average nutshell

Reply to
Swingman

You want to be a weather person?

About the best weather gig in the country has got to be Dick Goddard in Cleveland.

Was a weather guy in the air force.

Mustered out and started doing TV weather around 1960.

Cleveland has very unique weather patterns do to the effects of Lake Erie.

Goddard was pretty good at getting it right more than half the time,

One of the first to get the meteorological seal of approval as a weather forecaster.

Has a lot of fun with the Farmers Almanac.

Uses the wooly bear caterpillar for a fall festival, etc, etc.

As far as I know, he still does a daily show.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, There's a whopping two inches in my rain gage and I think the wind hit

15-16 knots twice all day.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Go stand on the Galveston seawall with your yellow slicker on, crank up the off-camera wind machine while a gaffer sprays you with a water hose. I noticed KHOU pre-empted Katie Couric between 5:30 and 6:00 and then saw the graphic EDUORD AFTERMATH filling the whole screen during the 6:00 local broadcast. Sheesh.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

"Dave in Houston" wrote in news:QJ6mk.7336$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi145.ffdc.sbc.com:

We had a storm here in Illinois this morning, and after it got done I spent around an hour cleaning leaves out of the pool. Was Eduord about like that?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Dave in Houston wrote: ...

Well, there's a plus, anyway... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Austin's weather persons must have one of the tougher jobs.

There can be a high of 96, with 99% humidity and then a low of

30 that nite, followed by hail the next day, with lightning storms later that night - which seem to last for hours and really snap crackle and pop, with regular deafening booms - before the light reaches you. Then there's a month of drought which may trigger the locust swarms. Haven't heard of any rivers turning to blood or swarms of flies followed by an onslaught of frogs - but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Though, growing up in the Panama Canal Zone, I have experienced the front of the car in sunshine, and the back of the car in a sheet of rain, I had never seen horizontal rain, nor been blown sideways - in a van - with new tires.

Around Austin, the phrase "God willing and the creek don't rise." has real meaning. And you better pay attention to the Depth Sticks at low bridges after the sky has opened up - or you may find that your vehicle will actually float - for a while.

Reply to
charlieb

Pretty close. One of the guys I used to work with in Dallas said he took a meteorology course in grad school and was told that people in Dallas had one of the worst areas in which to predict weather. Something to do with the location relative to the Gulf and other geographic features.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

When my son was very young I always told him that he could always be a doctor or a weather man, no one ever expects you to get it right the first go round. ;~)

Good for him as few are worth a darn.

Reply to
Leon

On 2, Marissa Reyes? stood on the beach doing some break dancing to show how windy it was and yet her hair mostly stood still in the wind.

Reply to
Leon

Not that bad.

Reply to
Leon

Well you musta been right smack dab in the "Cone of Death", we got an inch.

Reply to
Leon

Just 2 weeks ago I walked out of my garage to see my truck setting in the drive soaking wet, and the other half of the drive way bone dry. Half the roof on my house was wet.

Reply to
Leon

I guess it only rained in half your rain gage, Leon.

~:o)))) Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston