OT: Color - stain - dye plastic

Certainly not a wood issue, but I have seen a number of posts here indicating serious experience by some in the wonderful world of plastics.

I am looking for a way to permanently color finished low density polyethylene. I'm working with thick LDPE (over 1" thick sheets to start) and it only comes in white. If I were molding the stuff, problem could be solved - but I'm not.

Is there a dye or some coloring process I can use? I assume it is tough (even if possible) since even my markings with an "indelible" Sharpie quickly rub off. This is true whether I write on a slick surface as it came from the factory on a cut surface. I'd like to be able to put the pieces in a small tub of the color and then fish them out - like coloring Easter eggs.

The problem may well be that LDPE seems designed to NOT bond with things. Also, if the answer involves especially tricky chemicals, that won't work either. Even a definitive, "No, cannot be done" would be helpful.

TIA. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

You could read the "bad news" here

Adam Weber

I don't know how well it works for that material, but years ago, we used to dye nylon and a couple of other plastics using Rit dye. The supermarket stuff for fabrics. Just mix it in a tub and soak the parts.

Many plastics today are formulated to resist staining and this could be one of them. It has been many years since I did it. What have you got to lose but maybe 2 bucks?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
igor