OT Clock

I am looking for a type of clock that I don't know the name of. Instead of a pendulum or spring movement it has a rod coming out of the top with a ball and string on it, about 3 inches or so are two rods on each side of the center rod, the center rod pivots causing the ball and string to wrap around the outside rods and then unwrap , swing around and wrap around the rod on the other side, unwrap and repeat the operation to control the movement of the clock. does anyone know what this type of movement is called??? Can't find anything on the web about it, but have seen the clocks in action about

30 years ago in Europe, they kept lousy time but were fun to watch.
Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

On 16 Dec 2003, Sweet Sawdust spake unto rec.woodworking:

Some Googling on "centrifugal escapement" might lead to what you are after.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

I'm unsure of the name also, but try a google search on "anniversary clock", as that is what many of the clocks you describe were sold as.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Sounds like the concept of a torsion pendulum to me.

todd

Reply to
todd

It's a variant of the verge and foliot escapement, but AFAIK the string is a '70s invention and entirely fake.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Tried all suggestions and no luck, will try other ideas but am beginning to wonder if I saw it in a dream. Thanks for the ideas and help.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

I remember seeing the clock you described in a clock shop many years ago and would watch it with amazement. It is called an Ignatz Pendulum Clock and you can see it here.

Reply to
Bluesman

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust