Clock

I have drawn up some plans for a Grandfather clock I want to build and wanted some suggestions on what type of wood and finishes. All the furniture in our house is light no dark woods as are the floors so I wanted to stay light. any suggestions?

Reply to
a34655

Maple

Reply to
RayV

Or Ash without stain Or Oak without stain. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Sycamore and chestnut are nice unstained.

FoggyTown Most of my projects' best features began as mistakes!

Reply to
FoggyTown

Reply to
a34655

Just clear Jim

Reply to
Jim

Well, it would be nice to have perhaps some nice contrast in your furniture. I agree about the maple, oak, ash. Perhaps beech or sycamore? Either is probably a bit too bland.

Look around at different websites for Gclocks and see what stricks you that will fit. I definitely would stay away from cherry or mahogany. Check with your local lumber merchant and see what they have instock and bring a piece home to see if it will go with your decor.

Good luck.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

Personally, for the kind of heirloom project you are planning I would go with a good finishing oil and a slathering of beeswax. A clock isn't the type of thing that's going to get hard wear or need to be sealed to much extent.

Try this link to see all kinds of woods - but remember that the coloration on your monitor may not be exactly the same as the graphic.